Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat from crits -- 200%?

Mex
Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Threat from crits -- 200%?

I was reading a threat over in the WotLK which challenged a couple of things that up until now I'd taken for granted.

I remember back when information about threat first started to be theorycrafted properly. Kenco's work in identifying exact threat numbers (based on healing needed to pull agro), the 110% / 130% rules, the abstract rules which governed the realities that we all had to deal with day to day becoming defined, etc etc. One thing that I remember and always kept in mind was the effect that crits had on agro. According to the testing, a critical strike did 200% (or maybe it was 150% ...) of the threat it would otherwise do. Eg, a 500 frostbolt would do 500 threat, but a 750 frostbolt crit would do 1500 threat. A 200 maul with a x2 modifier would do 400 threat, but a 400 maul crit would do 1600.

I took a long break from WoW shortly afterwards, and when I returned I focused mostly on PvP and ignored PvE theorycrafting, so maybe I missed changes to this?

Can anyone confirm that this is no longer the case? Full T6 warlocks hovering between 1400 and 2000 TPS seems to disprove this, but do crits no longer have any effect what-so-ever on threat, apart from increasing the damage that then becomes modified (either down from salv / talents or up from bear form / D stance / RF etc)?

I never purposely sought out crit, but I must admit that I probably over-estimated its value when I did have it (ie adept's elixir, tempest of chaos).
Rhiannon
Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 am
I've only been playing since tbc, but during the time I've been playing crits are no different from normal hits as far as the threat they cause, which is just based on their damage.
_________________
Worldie
Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:10 am
Unless you got Vashj's trinket.
_________________

R.I.P. Sanctity Aura, it's Hammer Time
Worldie
Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:26 am
We actually had it dropping once.
_________________

R.I.P. Sanctity Aura, it's Hammer Time
Mex
Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:32 am
Cheers for the replies Smile