Skip to content
Maintankadin

How much spell damage should I get?

Elderin
Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 am

How much spell damage should I get?

My guild is starting to go into T6 instances and I'm getting feed back from people who say they are getting threat capped when I tank but it isn't when our Feral Druid or Warriors tank.

I'm not convinced they are correct because according to WoW webstats, my threat per second is typically the highest in the raid.

Nonetheless, I am willing to look into increasing my spell damage to increase my threat. Obviously, I want to minimize the changes in my current gear set up because the current set up allows me to avoid a lot of damage. Raid buffed, I almost hit 30% dodge. Combined with my parry and miss, I avoid about 55% of all incoming attacks completely.

Any suggestions?
_________________
Elderin - 70 Paladin (Protection) - Whisperwind
Consecration is my crowd control
inthedrops
Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:02 am
I looked at your armory, don't know how up to date it is. At 364 you are undergeared threat wise for BT. If the other tanks have similar gear to yours I would expect that they can very easily out threat you in all situations including demons.

55% avoidance is plenty to start in BT. Get the pally chest piece and the pally legs from badges and you'll be in MUCH better shape threat wise.

Yeah, you'll lose some avoidance. But you'll do better on trash and OT type things like Supremas. If you're tanking Naj then as long as you're uncrushable you'll be fine because he hits like a girl.

Basically, your spell damage really is too low. You should be in the 500 range.
_________________
Fridmarr
Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am
Well you need to get your spell damage up somewhere. The old badge chest isn't a horrible idea, I used that until I got my T6. Also, the old badge boots would work for you too.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
aureon
Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 am
or:
0/40/21, for istant solving of your threat problems Very Happy
_________________
Tankadin
Spec RET. That's what Uther wanted.
inthedrops
Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm
I'm sorry I made a mistake in my first post and meant to suggest boots, not legs. Sorry about that. Also, I was referring to the old badge chest piece, not the new one. 99% of people that visit these forums know the new one stinks Smile
_________________
fuzzygeek
Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 pm
If you are aoe tanking, WWS will report your threat as being highest, no contest. Especially in Hyjal; I've had the SustainedTPS mod report me doing well over 4k TPS on some waves. Technically accurate, but not terribly useful information.

Given how borderline your gear is for T6, I'm really not sure there's much you can do that doesn't involve significant upgrades. I personally used the 2.3 paladin chest and boots while tanking Illidan, so those might be two pieces worth looking into. It looks like you're stacking a lot of block rating, which is helpful early on, but less so as you progress ... depending on your function, of course.

I think you might be better off using the block libram and the 2.3 boots over the Solarian boots, but I haven't any maths to back up that gut instinct.

It looks like you're at exactly 101.39% dpbm with HS right now.

You might consider wearing the block libram and swapping your Figurine with, perhaps, an Icon of the Silver Crescent.

Also, something to keep in mind is that you really only need to keep the 102.4% magic number if you're actually tanking bosses. You can sacrifice dpbm for threat on trash; in your case you can't sacrifice much, but of your limited options, there you go.

*dpbm = Dodge Parry Block Miss.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:26 pm
Also, I highly recommend against going 40/21 until you outgear T6 content, or if your healers are really, really good. If your guild is just starting out in the wonderful world of T6, I don't know that I'd recommend taking Sanc Aura over AD.

The threat output of a dead tank is, after all, 0. Even with Sanc Aura.

Also I think the rule of thumb for spell damage is:
2-300ish for Kara
400ish for T5
500s for T6

My Brut tank set has 526 spell damage; my trash set has between 756 and 903 SD, depending on how far I take it.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 pm
I like the sabs http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33523 much more than the greaves http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34947 , but the greaves aren't a bad choice for people still working on uncrush. They're just kind of lame. I think given the relative excellence of the 2.3 badge gear, the 2.4 paladin tanking stuff was something of a let down. Their itemization kind of sucks, but it's also aimed at a different demographic.

But anyway, the sabs is a threat upgrade, but you lose a lot of block rating giving up the Solarian boots, unfortunately.

If you're that far above uncrush, I'd definitely swap out the Colossus; if your primary concern was mitigation I'd recommend the Commendation, but since it's threat you might want to go with a spell damage trinket. Your armory is reflecting a Colossus and Pocketwatch, so I might not be looking at your tanking set up, come to think.

As a class one of our biggest problems has always been that we have to trade off between mitigation and threat. It's the reason I have 15 gear sets defined in Itemrack.
_________________
Worldie
Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 pm
Gemming for spelldamage is a crime. Warriors don't gem for Hit or STR.

If you really lack threat, 40/21 -> that way /points at Paladin Trainer
_________________

R.I.P. Sanctity Aura, it's Hammer Time