Skip to content
Maintankadin

Timing Wings

Mex
Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:44 am

Timing Wings

I've been thinking a bit about this lately, and wondering exactly when the best time to use wings on fights is?

In 99% of cases if you're MT'ing you'll want to use wings right at the start, both to frontload threat and to get the cooldown ticking as soon as possible, ensuring as many uses as possible if the fight goes for 3.5 / 6.5 / 9.5 etc minutes.

Still, I'm wondering about what exactly the best "rotation" is with wings?

I generally throw my shield to pull the boss, then judge crusader (or wisdom, if i significantly outgear the content), then wait for judgement cooldown to come off, pop wings and make sure I get 3xJoR in the space of the buff.

This is more from habit than anything else, and I'm wondering if it would make more sense to do it another way? The other options that come to mind both involve using wings before shield, then starting a normal threat rotation, either judging crusader first, or simply going for triple righteousness.

Does anyone have any comments on whether one method or the other is a clear winner? Using wings after JotC is up offers the highest threat potential, as far as I can tell. My JoR hits much harder than shield, and with the boss already beating on me, it ensures that not a single tick of consecration or charge of holy shield are missed.

I suppose this is something that will vary from encounter to encounter slightly, depending on the necessity for frontloaded threat, etc, but has anyone identified a clearly superior option?
Tradyk
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 am
I pop it just before I swap to SoV. I can't remember who said it, and I'm not even sure if it's true anymore, but the idea is that if you're winged when you start the SoV debuff on a target, as long as you maintain the debuff without letting it drop, it will always tick for the increased amount, as if you had wings.

Even if it doesn't, helps to cover the lower threat while building the stack.
Worldie
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:30 am
That was long time ago, they nerfed that.
_________________

R.I.P. Sanctity Aura, it's Hammer Time
SmurfZG
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:36 am
I usually pop wings right away, because I want to be able to do good threat while I get jocr up. Obviously, I don't get as much threat out of my wings compared to if I had put up jocr first, but my dps can start dpsing faster. When jocr is down and my rotations are in order I'm usually not capping anyone except those who've been lucky with crits.

SoR -> holy shield -> wings -> AS (pull)-> judge righteousness -> consecration -> SoR -> HS -> SoCR -> judge.

If there's a ret paladin for jocr I do jow, but wait until wings are finished.

I find this superior for me.. however, if you don't do (more than) enough threat normally, maximising the potential of your wings might be better. It shouldn't be a huge difference, so I can't say that one is a clear winner.
_________________
Tieran
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:39 am
IMO this varies vastly for each encounter you face, sometimes you may want to get huge frontload tps.. then yes use it at the start.

Sometimes you want the tps boost for a particular part of the fight. A good example would be Muru. * I haven't experienced this and my guess is I am not alone on this Razz* However I am sure there are other examples I am not thinking of right now.

I know that sometimes we start with BLs .. Ie Supremus / Gorefiend etc - so I pop them as soon as I have a full cycle back and ready to go. I normally pop my Crimson serpent at the same time aswell, and if the encounter allows it then I use a Destruction pot as well Razz

Nearly 1k spell dmg for 30 seconds = some crazy tps Very Happy
_________________
Tieran - Emeriss
No Win Scenario
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emeriss&n=Tieran
fuzzygeek
Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:11 am
If I have to apply SotC on the boss, I:

SoR
Shield
Cons
HS
Judge
(cooldowns -- boss reaches me here)
SotC
Judge
SoR
Wings
etc.

If I have a ret, I'll wait until I see JotC in the debuff list, then pop wings.

If shield misses I may pop wings sooner than later.

Opening with AS/JoR is usually enough snap aggro to wait a bit to get into rotations and allow moar debuffs (e.g., Misery) to hit the boss so AS effect is maximised, and no time is left ticking while the boss lumbers towards me.

Your mileage may vary. I know a lot of people pop wings right on the pull.
_________________
Eaglestrike
Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:14 am
Depends on the fight for me. If no ret paladin is around, I shield pull, JotC and 8s later wings and start with a judgement. My DPS is usually getting in place and getting their own buffs/debuffs on (scorch, curse, SnD, etc.) and they usually know to hold for 8s.

If a ret paladin is around, I pull with a JoR and 8s later JotC is on I wings and throw a shield during that.

And on fights like BB, I only wings when I need to catch up in threat, never at the start, gives me too much of a lead, lol.
_________________
Aalryn
Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:40 am
I use wings as soon as possible and as often as possible. If it's not on cooldown and i'm tanking mobs then it's a waste of possible threat. In Wotlk I may end up just macroing it into hand of righteousness.
_________________
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Sharkdog
Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:06 pm
I tend to use wings when I want to feel pretty.
_________________
Trebeck
Protection Paladin
Hellfire-EU
JUSTISE
Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 am
I use the 0/40/21 spec so no shield pull

I run up to boss, Consecrate, judge crusader, switch to righteousness. When my next Consecrate is up, I pop wings b4 it, and Consecrate n Judge immediately cuz using Judgments dont take up GCD. That gives pretty big burst in tps for that spec.
elson
Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:52 am
For bosses I normally.

Pre-cast consecrate where possible
pre-cast holy shield
Cast avengers shield
Judge crusader
Re-seal
Cast wings + whatever threat trinket I may be wearing.
Resume my normal threat rotation including exorcism when applicable

The exception to this is when I tank Khaz'rogal because I judge wisdom on him, walk him through cow town, and down to trall before I use the wings.

This means that I get the maximum benefit possible from the wings instead of wasting several seconds waiting for a boss to get to me or loosing potential threat from a judgment cycle because I started with JoR instead of JoCr.

For trash I use it if my mob is to die first, or if there is an larger need for threat in a particular situation. For example I use wings during the abomination heavy waves during hyjal trash because I know the stuns will prevent me from generating my normal threat. I also use wings if they are up during the crypt fiend heavy waves, because they take a while to get into the pile and if I don't, some lock is liable to pull aggro on the ones who got there last.
_________________


Zeal without wisdom is folly
ShaiHulud
Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 am
Usually I throw my shield, judge/seal Righteousness. Wait for 2 secs on judge cooldown switch to Crusader judge crusader and then pop wings. It still allows me to pop a shield at him while I have wings before they wear off. If theres a ret pally I just pop it from the start and make sure the pally knows he needs to get crusader up once hes in range of the boss.
_________________

^The new WoTLK Main

^Old TBC main