Skip to content
Maintankadin

different gear set advice?

slickmccool
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:36 am

different gear set advice?

Hey all. I am currently one of my guild's dedicated tanks. I can tank kara completely, and do well in Gruuls/Mags. I know my gear isnt perfect yet, but it is doing fine for me right now.

My question isn't about my gear but rather specific gear sets.

When I go to ZA, SSC,TK...do i need to be moving away from block sets and go for more of an avoidance set? I hear things about block sets, avoidance sets, stamina sets, ect.

I recently changed my gear up a bit and sacrificed block for a bit more dodge and i seem to be hit less, but also i dont hold aggro as well (i am sure as a by-product of the less block). Would this be an issue in the higher end raids, or will I not be an MT (I hear we dont MT in 25-mans) so threat generation wouldnt be AS important?

Thanks for all your help.
_________________
moduspwnens
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 am
Holy Shield is only a small portion (~15%) of our threat, and removing 1-2% of your block for dodge nets only a tiny decrease in overall threat (~0.3%). If you are having trouble with threat, there are much better ways of dealing with it than decreasing your avoidance to block more (Wrath of Air totem, Wizard Oil, Flask of Blinding Light, JotC, Misdirections).

You should have more than one gear set. One should emphasize having lots of health and avoidance, while retaining uncrushability. It will be used to tank bosses and hard hitters. The second set will have high spell damage, block rating, and block value, and won't need to reach uncrushability. It will be used to tank trash, and many things that don't hit too hard.

If you need threat, mix some of the spell damage stuff in with your main tanking stuff for a good threat set.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
slickmccool
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:55 am
yeah i could use more threat, so ill do that. thanks.

overall though, what type of gear do we need for ZA and the 25-mans? I would like to be a MT for all the raids, but is this realisitc? Am I more likely to be an OT than an MT for everything other than Kara/ If I am an OT, does that affect the type of gear set I should wear?
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 am
....and those differences, they're more perceived than actual Wink

Good luck!
_________________
slickmccool
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 am
thanks guys!

One good thing is I have a very supportive guild full of many "leet" players who like to see a pally tank at full potential, which is a nice contrast from when I try to PuG Kara and many so-called "pros" laugh and ask em to heal when I say I tank.

I like being the "Player's" tank Smile
_________________