Skip to content
Maintankadin

Faster threat as OT on Gruul, looking for suggestions

Zefram
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:40 am

Faster threat as OT on Gruul, looking for suggestions

Long time forum troll, first time poster.

I tanked in Gruul's lair for the first time last night. I was setup to be the OT for the fight and am very close in health pool to the MT. I mistakenly over aggroed at the beginning and the game changed, I became MT. Threat skyrockets with Holy Shield up and constantly having a full mana pool to throw out all the threat spells I can imagine.

About half way through we had the disorienting effects hit, I did all I could to keep my health up (trinket popped, healthstone) but went too long without a heal and I went down. I got a battle rez from our druid and came back into the fight. By then the MT was over 100k threat and I found myself without mana after blowing Avenging Wrath and trying to build threat back up over the melee. I wasn't able to come back on aggro which of course killed all our rogues in the process.

We finished the fight but I got caught without mana and holy shield down for a crushing blow that took me out at 1%.

Is it possible to regain aggro faster in those situations? Would something like Seal of Blood allowed me to be healed more, gained more mana and thus have been able to do gain more threat?

I really don't want to fight for MT position all the time but the threat generation is amazing in that position, how can I get a little more love as an OT trying to generate a higher sustainable tps?
_________________
Salamandra
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 am
If you die halfway through and get ressed you haven't got a chance to regain enough aggro to be second unless all your melee completely suck.

Don't die.
_________________
moduspwnens
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:57 am
Also, Paladins suck as offtanks in this kind of situation. It's really very difficult to stay over good melee DPSers. Be sure you're chugging mana potions.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Petrus
Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:08 am
In the case when I'm OT, which usually happens when I PUG Gruul and some T6 Warrior or Druid is there and everyone's like "OH they have tier 6 they need to maintank" I just throw on as MUCH spelldamage as possible, chain-chug mana pots, and usually come out just fine. Last time I did it I was third on threat the entire fight, behind the MT druid and a full 8/8 T6 warlock who has 1400 spelldamage, put out 1600some dps, and beat the rest of the dps by at least 5%.

My spelldamage pieces:
Justicar Shoulderguards
Justicar Chestguard
Justicar Handguards
Justicar Legguards (with spellthread - I'd use something better but this is my 4pc for now and it just has TONS of spelldmg on it)
Bracers of Dignity
Sunward Crest
The Black Pearl
Amani Punisher
Libram of Divine Purpose (as long as you arent gimping your avoidance too much)

Throw on Wizard Oil, Unstable Flask of the Sorcerer, and spelldamage food and you've got a LOT of spelldamage.
_________________
Hexzon
Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 am
Put BoS on the MT help u get some dmg and mana back.
_________________
Talmus
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am
I wouldn't even bother battle-rez'ing the tank in that situation. You're not going to catch up so battle-rez'ing a dps/healer would probably make more sense.
_________________

Imba - Armory
Alceste
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:21 pm
Consecrate, judge, re-seal, /sit macro, get hit by Hurtful Strike, repeat. The sit guarantees a crit, which is non-threatening when I'm at full health most of the time, and keep my mana very high. Crits me for about 8k.
_________________
AutomaticZen
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 am
I like the last idea posted, but generally, if I'm not the maintank for Gruul's I'm not tanking. You're not taking enough damage to keep the threat to level that your DPS can go all out. Assuming equal gear, you'd have the pally MTing and the warrior/druid OT.
Frickit
Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 am
I still dont understand why warriors arent used primarily as offtanks and pallys primarily as maintanks it just makes sense on so many different levels. I always used Vengeance on Grull OTing. Early caveins will keep you from chugging a ton of pots. Thats basically all you can do.

I used to think it was funny listening to the people screaming at me to get out of cave ins (same ppl that lost their fucking minds if I stood in a charred earth) I mean seriously, Im only going to explain pally tanking 10 times to the same people before I just ignore them and laugh at their overwhelming stupidity.

For more threat you could use the Divine purpose libram and other threat pieces to go crushable if you dont think youll end up with him...our early attempts ended in a dead warrior and me tanking the last 20% every single time (lawl @ dummys) so I stayed uncrush for him.

after a couple months of warriors being crushed to death I became the preferred MT for Gruul. I would seriously try to explain that your better off for threat and crush immunity as a MT and warrior is a superior OT.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)