Skip to content
Maintankadin

Partial resists. whut? Holy resistance?

agnara
Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:52 am

Partial resists. whut? Holy resistance?

As most if you know resistance is what causes partial resists, as far as I remember right now it's also the only thing. But somehow we see our spells getting partial resists from time to time.

Worldie
Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:55 am
When talking about char vs boss, the partial resist has nothing to do with resistance. It's just related to the level difference, as wowwiki says.

There's nothing you can do to prevent it. It's exactly same for any spell school. Let's say it's the "glancing blow" for spells.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Levantine
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:07 pm
WTB more binary spells.
_________________


5/6 SSC, 3/4 TK, 4/5 Hyjal

Funstrider, Vashjina and Archilol can go diaf
QuantumDelta
Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:55 am
Worldi nailed it really, but it doesn't effect every spell we have unlike a lot of the caster classes.
_________________
Mordinm
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 am
I was under the impression that resists due to level difference and not being hit capped were always complete resist. Only resistance to a particular spell school can cause partial resists. If someone has too much time on their hands they could get some spell pen gear and go beat on that dragon outside CoT.
Worldie
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:10 am
Nah, i get partial resists on my priest and i got like 23% hit
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Worldie
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 am
And it's indeed what i've tried to explain to the OP Smile read above
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Mordinm
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:17 am
What it sounds like the OP was saying, and what I think is correct is that a partial resist is proof of a holy resistance stat on mobs.

There are 2 different mechanics for resists:

The miss mechanic is countered by spell hit and is 17% for 3 level above you. The miss mechanic can only ever cause a full resist. You will never get a partial resist due to "missing."

The resistance mechanic is due to your spell school resistance and is countered by spell pen. The resistance mechanic is the only thing that can cause a partial resist. Therefore partial resists with holy magic are evidence of holy resistance on mobs.


Now it’s been a while since I played a caster so let me know if the theory craft has been updated but last I checked that’s the way it worked. I don't quite get what your shadow priest getting partial resists while hit capped has to do with anything.
Worldie
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 am
Again, that partial resistance has nothing to do with spell resistance or miss rate. It's innate in the level difference and not avoidable in any way.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
QuantumDelta
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:53 am
If this were true spell pen would be a viable cloak enchant, for DPS classes.

Go check how many non-retarded magical DPSers are wearing that for PvE.

There are some bosses with some resistances (Teron Shadow, some MC bosses Fire, etc) without being immune but these are more the exception than the rule.
I know of no boss with Holy resistance.
_________________
agnara
Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 pm
I made the topic because I remembered somethingI heard on a mage theorycraft discussion, back when I played a mage as my main. it was that mobs of highter lvl than you had X resistance per lvl highter than you that couldn't remove. So I made a post asking for how much we knew on the subject.

while I wrote the post I looked up on wowwiki to see if they had found out anything more since I had read that discussion. I discovered that they had already found out what was causing the partial resists.

But I after changing the post around a little I just posted it anyway, even thought I had found the answer to my question. So that's why it might not have been so easy to figure out what I was trying to say in the post.
_________________