Skip to content
Maintankadin

Some specific itemization questions

Scottzirra
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am

Some specific itemization questions

Hey,


I have been reading through the theorycraft, yet I cannot seem to find a solid answer to several of my questions regarding gear, and therefore survivability and threat. My armory link is:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Destromath&n=Scottzirra

I also find it important to note that I am not a main tank. I am normally our 2 tank, and therefore I try to gear specifically for my role, which consists of taking hurtful strike on supremus, tanking doors on akama, tanking trash in hyjal, etc etc. In my mind, all the things I'm designed to do.

With that in mind, at what point does mitigation vs threat come into play? I am sitting on 601 spell damage, and lately have had a ret pally in my group (<3 sanc aura), and have absolutely no issue holding threat, unless I am completely OOM. However, sometimes in Hyjal, when I've got a lot of Abom's stunning me, I drop wicked fast. Full raid buffed I am over 20k hp, which seems reasonable, and between 18-22k armor depending on procs.

From what I hear, I should be able to hold ample threat with 200 less spell damage, but I wonder if my mitigation is low enough to consider the swap. As it stands now, my raid waits until my first attack lands, and then goes balls out on dps, and I hold onto everything.

From what my raid says, im usually 1500 tps (thats w/ sanc aura) on my target, and roughly 600-700 tps on off targets.

So my question is:
For my specific role, should I be dropping threat for increased mitigation? And if so, can anyone provide specific suggestions on pieces that I can swap, preferably badge gear, since lately I have not seen drops I need in raids.

EDIT: I also felt it was important to note that if the socket bonus was close to being as good as a 12 stam gem, I went for the bonus with mixed gems.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Guillex
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 am
The one question that I have to ask is ... Are you chugging FAPs? That's going to help you a LOT with the Abom knockdowns.
_________________
Official thread killer

Scottzirra
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:28 am
I have never eaten a free action potion in that situation, or heard of doing so. Does that actually work?

EDIT: and does that imply that my gear choices are fine?
Fridmarr
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:37 am
Your gear is fine pretty much. Personally, I'd take out that spell damage gem in lieu of dodge or stamina and put the tanking enchant on your shoulers instead of spell damage and look for better rings, but overall considering your role, it's not a big deal.

The thing about those stuns is that while you are stunned you can't dodge/parry/block so the only thing that can save you at that point is health, armor, and heals. Generally, you'll want your other tanks picking up the Aboms. It's not the aboms that kill pallys directly, but that when you are stunned the other 10 mobs are going to automatically hit you. Free action pots do prevent (but they don't break) the stuns, and the aboms themselves can be stunned to buy you some time.

If you have a moroes pocket watch, I'd equip that over the darkmoon card, and pop it on the pull with a lot of aboms. The knockdown can be dodged and by the time the pocket watch effect wears off, the other tanks should have a few aboms on them.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Scottzirra
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:46 am
yeah i have the pocket watch, and the scarab of displacement. my original thought was to gear entirely for threat and thats why I dont have any dodge on my stuff. dodge = no block or ret aura threat, and the dodge roll comes 1st. but I suppose at this point I can forfeit the block threat on aoe pulls
moduspwnens
Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 pm
Also be sure you have a bubble/cancel macro, as that can get you a few precious seconds after an Abom stun if you're going down quickly.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Scottzirra
Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:28 am
Thank you very much for the suggestions, as well as the FAP tip. out of curiosity is there a target spell dmg that a tankadin in my situation should shoot for?