I did a quick search through the forums and didn't see anything like this so I thought I'd post my idea.
Would it be possible to give yourself a hybrid prot/holy spec and tank and heal yourself at the same time? Both threat and healing mechanics would have to work out here for this to be semi-viable.
I'm a pretty well geared pally tank having OT'ed half of ZA and have all epic gear except for my shoulders and trinkets. I have a couple DPS IRL friends who are mostly in blues with a couple crafted epics but who generally don't raid or do heroics. It's usually pretty hard to find healers and I hate asking the well geared healers in my guild to heal for regular instances.
My armory profile is http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Gottverdamnt.
Of course at the time of posting I am in my pvp gear so that doesn't give you a great idea.
This is the way I look at it: Paladins excel at AoE tanking, and what better AoE threat generating "attack" than a big fat heal? It's range extends to every mob engaged in combat.
With Holy talents I can avoid spell pushback and mitigate the length of interrupts. I realize I can't block or parry while heal-tanking but I can still dodge, and I can still be missed (a la Bookin tanking). With my current 24% dodge and 11% chance to miss that some decent avoidance.
With improved Righteous Fury a 2k heal adds 1k threat to all mobs (I hear that the 90% threat gets added to healing). Add a little consecration and maybe a JoR to open and you have some decent threat; enough to keep your lesser geared friends at bay (they do only about 300-350 dps at this point). With them having Salv, that means they only put out about 240 TPS, meaning a Rank 3 Cons and some holy lights could keep me afloat while I melee (potentially with Seal of Wisdom or Light) to keep my mana up.
Obviously mana would be the biggest issue, and interrupts and stuns could be a killer, but I could see doing 2-3 mobs at a time.
My sample talent build is this, though there is huge room for talent/gear tweaks: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVxubxzGhoZV0tIgczM
I don't expect to heal-tank heroics but I could almost see lvl 70 regulars being doable.
And also, keep in mind I am trying this more than anything to keep the game interesting until WotLK comes out.
There could be a whole discussion of the proper talenting and gearing, but I think the instant heal here is really important, and I am assuming I won't be blocking and Concentration Aura will be used all the time.
My gear will be halfway between 108% avoidance/mitigation 450 spell dmg and 1200 healing 80mp5s (without BoW). Maybe shooting for 50 mp5s, lots of armor and dodge rating will work well.
There are 4 good options for blessings: BoSanct for less dmg (though not really threat gen since I don't expect to block much), BoL for bigger heals(more threat), BoW to keep my mana up, and BoK to do a little of everything (1% dodge, 500 mana, 1k hp).
I gotta give this a try when I get home from work. Until then, I'm curious to hear your thoughts/advice.
P.S. It also strikes me that this might be a good setup for arena pvp too. Healing threat seems to work just as well in pvp as it does in pve :p
Gottverdamnt
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 am











