Skip to content
Maintankadin

newbie wants to know about stam vs avoidance

Ultraguy
Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 pm

newbie wants to know about stam vs avoidance

i didnt put this in the avoidance vs mitigation thread since i dont think stam counts as mitigation.

now, i understand that, like most things in life and world of warcraft, it is all about balance. balance your stamina and your pure avoidance so that you can take a couple hits without heals if need be, and also dodge 'em to make healing on you less strenuous.

but isnt it different for paladins due to ardent defender? the more stam you stack the sooner AD triggers, so im wondering if that puts stamina above pure avoidance to a certain extent (between 55-60% pure avoidance maybe?).

i know this doesnt quite apply to end-end-endgame because ive heard stuff in sunwell will often kill you no matter what when youre in AD range, and this has probably been covered before but i couldn't find it.

any help is appreciated Very Happy
moduspwnens
Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 pm
The general consensus here is to stack enough health and armor to reach the boss's "effective health requirement," and then stack avoidance. I don't usually buy into that, though. I'm a fan of high HP. I'm not sure how many hits I'd like to be able to take before I think it's unnecessary, but given current tanking gear, I believe dual stamina trinkets and gemming almost straight stamina is as close as I'll get to it.

People disagree, though.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Dendrah
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 pm
I don't...

I'm more a HP, armor, Block, Block Value guy then I'm a miss, dodge, parry guy.

We're paladins. We can keep up block way longer then warriors. We have AD to help us on this approch. We even have 1% more sta bonus compared to warriors.

Anyway there are 2 ways of seeing mitigation. One is to avoid damage. The other is to enlarge your EH pool.
In the second approch Sta is for sure a mitigation tool.
Hexzon
Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:04 pm
Warriors only get a 10% Bonus to Stm Where we get 16%, its Taurens that also get the extra 5% Most paladins will find after being T6+ Sw geared if you tank ain't a taunren that your health becomes greater then there's depending on how u choose your stats

Honestly however i just See for Sunwell Avoidance being the winner because when a boss can hit you for 15k,another 1000 hp or so ain't gonna always save u, but thats my opion.
_________________
Dendrah
Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:48 am
1000 hp multiplied by armor, block value and damage reducers (think IRF and AD) will put you way higher then simply 1000 hp...

Let's try to calculate it all out. 400 BV and 55% armor reduction. And let's assume it is your last 1000 HP so you have AD.

(1000+400)/.45/.94/.7= 4728

Seems you can still take a bit of spanking when only 1k HP left. Not a full blown Brutallus hit but you won't die to the first incoming hits from skellies.
Hexzon
Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:04 am
Indeed.
_________________
Fapman
Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:37 am
Hi, this is my first post here after being a reader for a couple of weeks now.

My (previous) main is a fury warrior that tanks occasionally, and as far as i know warriors (as a class) only get 5% extra stamina. Taurens get 5% regardless of class.

I know that this isn't really on topic, but i do think that it is relevant to Hexzons post.
Dendrah
Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:57 am
We compare tankadins with prot warriors and they have 5% more from Vitality

So 5% normally, 5% from Vitality and another 5% from Tauren racial
Fapman
Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 am
"5% normally" where does that come from?

Is that a 'semi-random' number to account for less base hp + itemization?

Unless i'm missing something else of course.
Hexzon
Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:18 am
I Don't know man its been a long time since i played a warrior i thought it was 10% not 5%, Can someone confirm this? is it just 5% or a total of 10%?
_________________
Hexzon
Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:59 am
So Warriors get 5% T Warriors get 10% Pally Get 16%!!!!
_________________
SmurfZG
Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 am
except you get hp from stamina... so it has pretty much everything to do with it, and in terms of scaling with stamina, tauren warriors do get ~10%
_________________