Skip to content
Maintankadin

I've geared to be an end-game MT Tankadin but.....

thebreezehfx
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 am

I've geared to be an end-game MT Tankadin but.....

Hey fellow pallies:

Warcrafter Profile: http://elune-us.warcrafter.net/Himofeelia

PS - I always use a flask of holy light for raids to buff my threat
18.2-19k HP raid buffed

I've geared and specd by pally to be an end-game tankadin based on a cross between warrior and pally avoidance/mitigation. I've found that the classic pally tank -- at least the ones i've seen all go heavy shield block. Although good for threat.. not so good if your getting smacked more by a boss for 8k or more minus a small block value [insignificant].

Now the prob being... There is a druid tank in the guild who NEEDS to be the centre of attention. He's gotta tank EVERYTHING cause you know the crushable druids are the BEST tanks ever in the game. LoL NOT

This guy keep saying I'll drop easy tanking a boss, multiple mobs, etc... saying my block should be at least 30% and my other stats lower. Cause he believes blocking 400damage off an 8-10k hit makes a huge difference is the size of a blow..

Ie. 8-10k unblocked [HUGE] 7.6-9.6k blocked [SMALL hit???]
I dunno to me i think the blocked hit is still kinda HUGE !

Where as having high classic tank avoidance would actually prevent me from getting hit... thus require less healing and reducing the chance to die. I could be very wrong with this though. Mind you i don't see too many end-game tanks with 10% dodge 10% parry 30%block seems kinda odd to me.

I've looked at all raid stats for myself and the other tanks in the guild on boss fights in ZA/Hyjal/etc... My Incoming Hit stats are ALWAYS better.. The other tanks get hit twice as much as I do. I even look at the overheals because the healers are healing as if I'm getting hit a lot like the others do. The overheals on my are huge[40%+] cause i'm just not taking as much damage but they are casting as though I am. LoL

Rough numbers example.. I get hit 30% of the time.. they get hit 40-60% [This requires more heals and more potential close calls]


We were in BT lastweek farming trash.. and at one point I had 6 mobs on me at once. No problem.. never even came close to dying. We did HexLord the another week.. couldnt get the CC done properly so I tanked ALL the adds plus the boss NO CC!!!! and lived through it.

My request to you guys would be... evaluate my gear/spec/whatever... so I can tell this gloryhole druid tank to suck my HoJ.

Thanks
-- Himo
moduspwnens
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 am
The hit gem in your belt should be changed. Your spec is weird. You're giving up Precision and 3 points in Ardent Defender for PoJ and Crusade? If you're going that far, you may as well take those two points out of AD and get Sanctity Aura.

I don't recommend Sanctity Aura specs for your gear level, though, so I'd recommend a spec like mine. Also, I think your avoidance numbers are a bit rough. The other tanks get hit twice as much? I've seen tanks stack nothing but threat stats and they're usually only 10% behind in avoidance.

EDIT: Also, your shield has a block rating enchantment, but with Holy Shield you are uncrushable without it. It is doing nothing for you against most bosses.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Afraithe
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 am
Your threat is probably horrible in most situations and that's why they don't let you tank stuff.
_________________
thebreezehfx
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 am

actually my threat is still very high

My threat holds around 800-1000 sustained normally spikes up to 1400.

I also took less in AD cause i figure if I'm hovering constantly at <35% health healers arnt doing their job.
Snake-Aes
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 am
Is that druid an officer? Can he kick you? Does he think moonfire spami s dps? Why do you have to give a fuck? Raid leaders and guild master/officers should know what's going on, and choose appropriately. No one here will make people believe you once you're doing it right.

You do have relatively low armor, and could trade the expertise for spellpower with no loss. spell > all for aoe threat, which is what you're probably stuck with. On the spec, precision = crusade, with the bonus of safer taunts if you go for precision, which is also mroe useful overall.
_________________


Spankadin in development.
.'>';
moduspwnens
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am
As a personal recommendation, I'd say:

A) Change all gems to stamina gems (as long as you're uncrushable)
B) Change that shield enchantment to 18 Stamina.
C) Get the Commendation of Kael'thas to replace your JC trinket. I would recommend an Icon of the Silver Crescent for threat-intensive encounters.
D) Change Chest enchantment to Defense (or 150HP, but more likely Defense)
E) Get Slikk's. It's better than Pepe's. Really. And put Dodge on it.
F) Start building two separate sets: One that maximizes block rating and value, and the other that focuses on health, armor, and avoidance. Your helm /shoulders/ gloves are BV/BR, and your waist / rings / boots / chest are good EH/Avoidance pieces.

Link us to the druid's armory.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that the druid offtank in my guild (T6+) had no idea about prot paladins.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
kalbear
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 am
I wouldn't want you to tank anything big. Your HP is way too low and your avoidance is way too high. Avoidance is great for saving your healer's mana, but the problem is that it is luck based. In other words, some times you'll be totally fine, and some times you'll get a parry-hasted boss attack that'll do 20k in 2 seconds, and you'll be dead.

And for you, that'll happen a lot more often than it will that druid. Because that druid stacks armor and health, and you stack avoidance.

Taking crusade instead of precision makes me sad too.

Druid tanks are the best choice for a lot of the encounters in Hyjal/BT. Paladins...aren't.

Being able to tank 6 trash mobs in BT at a time isn't that huge, and is more a measure of your healers than it is your build. Tell us about how well you do tanking bosses, and I'll be more impressed.
BigBlueCheese
Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 am
Sounds like you're one of those people that are looking for people to justify them rather than take criticism.
_________________