Skip to content
Maintankadin

Keybindings

Dawnnofdays
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:11 am

Keybindings

Hello, i have a raiding Tankadin alt, my mains a warlock, and ive alwyas been a keyboard turner on my warlock and the bad habit carried over to my paladin, and since i've started tanking PUG hyjals with a few close guildies and alt 4chest ZA runs as a keyboard turner i want to learn to do it normally because i feel its taking away from my performance, what do most people use for keybindings when tanking?

Also i've been leaving about 20s on most later trash for threat before dps starts AE wondering if that sounds about right?
Nottebella
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:29 am
As long as all the mobs have stood in one full consecrate I usually feel comfortable with aoe, this can be as short as 8 seconds or longer if it takes time to get positioning.

As for keybindings, you don't have to change anything at all to mouse turn, just, well, mouse turn. Some people switch their turn bindings because they don't need them any more to other hotkeys, personally I leave mine there because sometimes I'm lazy and play with one hand.

My main is a warlock too. I swear, every warlock I meet has a tankadin alt.
_________________
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
2ndNin
Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 am
Tanking fine as a keyboard turner:
(btw, my ui is horribly strange, have 90+ icons, some repeats as they fit into my mouse rotation much more nicely, and have a bunch of macro'd stuff).

Shift+M5, M5, ctrl+M5 - Cleanse, Consecrate (6), Taunt
Shift+M4, M4, ctrl+M4 - Focus, Exorcism, judgement

1 - Flash / Cleanse, ctrl+ focus sacrifice
2 - Avenger's Shield, ctrl+ Consecrate (4)
3 - Holy Shield (3), ctrl+ Holy Shield(1)
4 - Crusader, ctrl+ wisdom
5 - Righteous, ctrl+ vengence
6 - Bubble / cancel aura, ctrl+ bop self
7 - Hammer time, ctrl+ bop other
8 - Holy Light, ctrl+ light
9 - Perception! oh yeah
0 - pass, never used it
- - Epic ground mount
= -Epic Flying mount

Razz Loads of buttons, bound, half the time I still use my mouse though as its more natural, gets the timing right on the rotation as I am used to it, being a board turner is not bad, as it frees up your mouse more, could easily bind the other 3 buttons on it Very Happy
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
moduspwnens
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:04 am
Every hunter I know has a Paladin alt, except one.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Snake-Aes
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:10 am
"My main is a warlock too. I swear, every warlock I meet has a tankadin alt."
I started as a warlock, rolled a tankadin alt and it became my main <grin>

If you want to get rid of keyboard turning... I unbound my A and D keys, and bound them to something else (HoW and AS), I also unbound my 0,-,= into mouse buttons for more comfortable use of holy shield.

Worked like a charm.


Find a configuration that fits you.
_________________

Spankadin in development.
.'>';
Manius
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:20 am
People use the keyboard to turn? Wow.

I've always used the mouse for turning, and only use the keyboard for strafing and forward/backward. As for keybinds, I use 1-5 for abilities I need reaction speed on, the two "thumb" mouse buttons (mousebutton 4 and 5), and the key to the left of 1.

1-5 are abilities like consecrate, hs, SoR, hoj and judgement, key left of 1 (NO idea what it is on an american keyboard) is Cleanse and mousebutton 5 is RD. Everything else I have clustered near where I usually hover my mouse.

Then again, my two 70's before I started leveling this pally were a mage and rogue, both classes that tend to be somewhat reflex heavy (stuns, counterspells, blinks), and it's carried on to my Paladin.
_________________
Armory Profile
Colette
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 am
I just use a standard 2 button + scroll wheel mouse, so I have all my abilities on hotkeys. I only use 1-5 for my common abilities, with shift and control modifiers.

My hotkeys on my shadowpriest are all messed up and out of the way, but it's the way I've learned to do it and I don't want to take time to relearn more efficient bindings, but since my pally was my alt I was able to design a good one before I got set in my ways.

Maybe once the expansion hits I'll make a better set of bindings for my priest.
_________________

Fridmarr
Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 am
While we are talking about keybindings, I came across a pretty cool addon, that allows you to have a key press bring up a toolbar ring at your pointer, and you just move your mouse towards one of the options and release the key to select it, it's kind of like having a single keybinding to multiple things.

It's not something you'd use for spam skills, like seals and stuff, but I do use it for potions and trinkets in combat and a bunch of non combat stuff. It allowed me to remove a bunch of stuff from my bars and clean up my UI and ended up freeing up memory because of all the stuff I don't display now. It has a ton of potential, and most importantly it looks cool Smile.

The addon is called OPie and it's on wowinterface.com but the official page is http://www.go-hero.net/opie/
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Ketsurui
Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:59 pm
I bind all my movement and vision functions to my mouse. Middle mouse is autorun. Makes everything simple.

The other hand is either on my n52 gamepad while I'm tanking (really amazing, honestly), or solely on my "1" key while playing my destruction warlock Smile