Skip to content
Maintankadin

HS/Consecrate rotations

Thark
Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:43 am

HS/Consecrate rotations

I'm curious how people prioritize Holy Shield and Consecrate at times.

In SWP and some of BT I make sure Holy Shield is always up. But on some easier fights lately I've been prioritizing Consecrate. The time always comes when both are off cooldown at the same time, and I'm curious what people do?

I didn't think it was all that big of a deal, as it's only every 40 seconds or so. But after looking at WWS today, I actually got crushed a few times. In Hyjal it's not a big deal at all, but I certainly don't want to get crushed on other fights. Do most of you follow a 10 second rotation like HS/Consecrate/Judge/Seal? Do you delay Consecrate a bit when both come off cooldown in order to keep Consecrate up more? I saw a little discussion on this in the Maximum Threat Potential sticky, but I'd like to know more.

I feel that the 10 second Holy Shield then Consecrate rotation just doesn't provide enough threat, and would like to find a way to keep Consecrate up more, but avoid those crushings from sneaking through when the cooldowns overlap.
_________________


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Vanarina
Spectrum
Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm
If you have more than three mobs the HS is probably not going to stay up the whole time, so suddenly consecrate starts to look better from a TPM stand point. However, on single-targets I find HS gives a great boost in threat just due to it's blocks that I don't like to not have it up.

If your holy shield is prioritized there's no way to get more consecrates in on average. You're going to end up delaying your consecrate eventually. You can get theoretically an increase of 20% consecrate in if you were to always prioritize it (e.g. waiting to recast HS if the Cons cooldown would come up while the HS GCD is still in effect). This comes from going from 10 to 8 second rotation on Consecrate.


It would be sort of nice if they'd change the CD of consecrate to 10 or HS to 8 so that we could have a steady rotation with/without iJudgements. But that would make it too easy.
_________________
No really, I'm not addicted.

"The skill-gear curve is steep for small values of skill."

http://armorylite.com/us/Silvermoon/Spectrum
Worldie
Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:28 pm
Teron and his 15k crushings are what i get for priorizing consecrate over holy shield even on bosses.

Epeen on TPS is srs business
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Worldie
Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:41 pm
Depends, if you use HS then Consecration, you'll have the CD overlapping everytime. That means than if you can afford losing 2 seconds of consecration everytime, you can mantain a steady cycle.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
2ndNin
Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am
I tend to start:

-1.5 Consc --- Stage 1
0.0 HS
6.5 Consc
10.0 HS Expires, cast
14.5 Consc
20.0 HS expires, cast
22.5 Consc
30.0 HS Expires, cast - forces 1.5s delay on consc
31.5 Consc --- Stage 1 finishes, overalp on timer
39.5 Consc --- Restart of Stage 1 - forces 1s delay on HS
40.0 HS Expires
41.0 HS Cast
37.5 Consc
51.0 HS Expires

Does this work out any better than the others? Think I lose ~ 1.5s of consecration each cycle and 1s of HS in about a 40s rotation. Any thoughts?
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Thark
Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 am
Thanks Dorvan for doing the math. I probably would have at some point, but I was lazy yesterday. It's nice to see the uptimes of each. I didn't realize that 6.25% of the time you'll have Holy Shield down.

2ndNin I think you're doing the same thing, just starting at a different point.
_________________


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Vanarina
2ndNin
Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 am
I am not sure, I have both HS and Consc downtimes in my rotation, 2.5s overall for both (1/1.5), of course either can be subbed in to match the other rotation, but its slightly different, just wondered if it was better, worse or made no difference, have Judgement on a 9s rotation(ish) so it tends to get fitted in where appropriate.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Consecrate
Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:26 pm
Generally I go with Worldie, HS > Cons on hard hitting stuff that I don't want to let a crush sneak in, Cons > all for everything else (also, on stuff that stuns, i try to prioritise Cons as it does threat while stunned, nothing else does except Ret Aura!
_________________
Probably the worst named paladin ever.
Teyrocar
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:14 am
Here's a spreadsheet I made detailing a few of the possible cast sequences. It was mostly for my own benefit, so I could plan my options when it comes to rotations and also how certain talents affect them (Improved Judgement, mainly):

http://rapidshare.com/files/130144588/TCSPT.xls.html
_________________
Kyrael
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:36 am
I must admit, even on bosses like Teron I might sometimes take a small risk if I deem it to be necessary.

I always keep an eye on Omen. If I'm ahead on Omen, I'll sit back, run my rotation, and just keep HS up as much as possible.

If dps is capped, though, I'll have a look at my health too. If I've taken damage, I keep HS up for another rotation. If I'm at full, I've got hots ticking, and healers appear to be on top of their game, I might risk refreshing Cons first...

It's a 1 second window of being crushed (slightly more taking lag into account). Teron crushes for about 12k or so? Next attack being blocked for another 8k is 20k damage, which is less than I run with when raidbuffed. Hots and a heal or two, and it should be fine.

Mind you, it's still an unnecessary risk. I'm usually miles ahead on threat anyway, so there is no need. I think I only pulled this one once, to stay ahead until my AW came off cooldown (we had just recruited a warglaive), and it certainly didn't feel safe, but if you feel there is a real risk of someone pulling off you (said warglaive had done so repeatedly on trash) it's the least of two evils.
_________________