Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Math] Paladin threat generation

Agravaine
Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:37 am
Total TPS = SoR + JoR + HS + Cons +White

SoR TPS = 1.995*(0.845+MH)(0.86+SH)[22 + (2 * (WS*10) - 30) + (WS*0.092*SD)]

JoR TPS = (218+0.5*SD)*1.995*(0.86+SH)*(1.03+SC/2)/8

HS TPS = (155+0.05*SD)*1.995*1.20*1.35*(0.86+SH)*2/10

Cons TPS = (64+0.96*SD/8 )*1.995*(0.86+SH)*DC

White TPS = (DPS+ATK/14)*(1.06+MC)*(0.845+MH)*(0.65)*(0.925)*1.05

Ok, so I go ahead and plug in my values (except for spell damage and duty cycle on consecrate) and get the following results:

SoR TPS = 40.972+0.263*SD
JoR TPS = 48+0.11*SD
HS TPS = 86+0.027*SD
Cons TPS = 109.8*DC+0.20*SD*DC
White TPS = 42

Total TPS* = 216.22 + DC* (109.8 + .2*SD) + .4*SD

Min TPS = 452 TPS (i.e. DC = 0) [Takes 725 dps to sustain indefinitely, but generates 36 addtional TPS]
Med TPS = 555 TPS (i.e. DC = .5) [Takes 1,130 DPS to sustain indefinitely generates additional 56 TPS]
Max TPS = 654 TPS (i.e. DC = 1) [Takes an incoming damage of 1,830 DPS to sustain this indefinitely, but generates 92.5 TPS]


*Just to reiterate, this does not include TPS from Heals/Power Gains, which is not negligible for Paladins because of Spiritual Attunement absent any other factor, like PoM or Earth Shield, and does not include Blessing of Sanctuary or Sanctity Aura or Windfury, etc.

**Updated for Correct SoR Numbers
kalbear
Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:26 pm
Remember that SoR is independent of weapon speed. The above calculation is damage per swing, not per second. You need to divide the whole thing by weapon speed, which I think takes weapon speed basically out of the equation. You can think of SoR as essentially a DoT, doing a certain damage over 30 seconds. That's not entirely right because of when you cast it, but if you assume that it's constant and you'll always have SoR up, it's going to do a set damage per second regardless of weapon speed.

I also don't understand how SoR has any spell hit component. If your melee hits, you hit. If you don't, you don't. It impacts JoR, but SoR is entirely dependent on +hit rating. Furthermore it can't be resisted partially (gogo holy damage!)

I believe the actual TPS for SoR should be:
(835/30+.0895*Spelldamage)*1.995

A side note: why 1.995?
Dorvan
Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:32 pm
1.995 = 1.9 (Imp Rf) * 1.05 (1h spec)

Oh, and I'm sorely tempted to ban you for having an obscene username Wink
kalbear
Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:58 pm
Ah, gotcha.

Y'all may want to check out the EJ thread on paladin mechanics. The formulas are a bit more refined and they come to a few different conclusions based on assuming that you're going after bosses, not regular mobs. The big one that's interesting to me is that the spell damage coefficient is only .5, roughly, not .63. I suspect that is almost entirely because they did SoR correctly.
Dorvan
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:11 pm
Nice post, but the threat calculations aren't particularly transparent. Without a presentation of all the actual numbers I couldn't say whether it's more or less accurate (EJ's got a lot of good stuff, but "it's on EJ" still doesn't count as proof in and of itself in my book Smile). That said, it does look like the SoR number here do in fact need fixing.
Agravaine
Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:28 pm
Okies, I'll look at that SoR Calculation.

I took out alot of steps, simply because it gets obnoxiously tedious.
Agravaine
Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 am
I looks like my numbers for SoR were a bit off.

Here is the dps calculation:

[22 + (2 * (WS*10) - 30) + (WS*0.092*SD)]

This formula came from WoWwiki
Agravaine
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 pm
I don't really have a good handle of resists and partial resists either. I know that I've seen plenty of partials on SoR and on SoV stacks. I assume that we get partials on all our other spells as well, and I just don't notice them.

I tried to model resists as

0.86 (base spell hit against lvl 73 w/ precision) + SH (whatever your additional spell hit would be).

I believe that SoV is actually double taxed, in that applications of the stack can be resisted, and the stack itself can suffer partial resists. I don't use SoV on lvl 73 enough to test.
Winchester
Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 pm
The spell damage coefficients dont seem to be correct, if wowwiki is correct that is.
Agravaine
Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 am
Bleh, I'm gonna review all that stuff now from top to bottom.

To quote President Ford (Chase): "I was told, there'd be no math."
koVenant!
Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 am
I did not read the entire thread so some of this may have been mentioned, but the 88 bonus to SoR and Wizard oil, and the +80 holy damage elixir. Also i use ret aura at all times and Blessing of sanc for certain mobs. I usually get the 30 stam food instead of spell dmg but in reality, you can have 400 spell dmg with just continuum blade, 40 spell dmg, 80+ holy dmg flask, ret aura, BoS, and if you have a retadin or ele shaman in the group with a disc preist. Thats easily 1k tps with the right rotation of SoV stacks, judgments and AW.
Heres how i do (assuming its undead/demon)
-Exorcism
-Consecrate
-JoR
-SoV, wait for 5 stacks, judge
(heres the crazy threat burst)
AW
-Aveng shield, Exorcism, SOV judge(5 stack), SOR, consecrate
thats alot, exorcism does 1k easy, SOV does 1k easy, consecrate throws down 200tps with AW and the normal dot of SOV.
_________________