Skip to content
Maintankadin

Damage mitigation Vs other classes

Guldylohx
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:46 am
/agree

I've got a warrior tank, and a pally tank. I'm currently working on a druid tank. My raiding experience extends no further than t4 content and a couple ventures into SSC/TK, none of which I tanked (ran on my mage).

I've only tanked kara and 5 mans, but I'm already seeing the difference in the classes at tanking mechanics.

And yes, holy shield is an issue. I regularly hit 300 ms latency, so that's when I take most, if not all, of my CB's. I would absolutely LOVE to have the cooldown shortened or the duration lengthened. Then I would have pretty much nothing to complain about.
_________________
Level 70 Dwarf Paladin
Frostmane
0/49/12
2ndNin
Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 am
I have to disagree.

Warriors are the worst tanks for most fights unless you have a reason to take one (to the caveat that paladins and druids suck just as badly if you don't have a reason to take one, paladin tanking gruul for example is harder than warrior because we do lack those osht keys for when the dps goes down early)

Paladin and warrior mitigation are similar, unless you need the shield wall / last stand the paladin should tank for the threat gains (if your dps aren't dpsing the difference is probably higher than that of your dps / a warriors dps). Paladins are threat tanks, my threat on single targets is higher than a warriors, and its faster, so unless my lack of osht buttons risks the fight I would rather tank than not.

Druids take more steady damage, if you need to ensure a consistant damage through a fight use a druid, their threat is also higher generally than a warriors. So a fight where its vital to maintain steady damage (say to keep healer mana) it may be better to take more damage consistantly than less damage in spurts. Druids also seem to build the 2nd best threat as OT in rage starvation situation, paladins work better because we can stand in cave ins etc or quaff pots but a druid will generally out threat a warrior as ot.

Where warriors come into their own is progression fights (wtf? what was that, will hit shield wall now thanks), fights with gimmicks (overcharge in TK for example), and fights where there is a sudden massive damage that you know is coming (gruul on large growths etc). Warriors are perhaps not best considered the default tank (which is really who ever you have handy and geared) but the best gimmick tanks. Ok as off roles the other 2 can perform slightly better (healer / off dps - off healer), but if you realistically need the OT in a role other than OT your group is probably undergeared or underperforming anyway, and if your MT bites it picking up the fight as OT in off gear is likely a wipe anyway.

Warriors are not the generic tank unless you are gimping your group, each tank has a place, and each tank has a role, to default that role to a warrior is silly as you miss out on the advantages the other 2 tanking classes bring, every fight is different and every class deserves a shot at fights that are better suited to it.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
2ndNin
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:31 am
Whats the average TPS of a warrior at T6, and a mage? I ask because I haven't tanked this yet, however I have hit 1500+ tps on my T4+ tank for sustained periods of about a minute on some bosses - not sure how really but I have done (no misdirections, non-aoe tanking, non-undead, non-demon), its harder, normally I reside in the .9-1.2K mark when trying (and sov doesn't fall off every 2nd hit Sad ), < 800 if I am half asleep. However on bosses dps rarely comes close to my threat if I don't go oom (~80% if I oom for half the fight, 32-62% of my threat if I have mana). Does this situation really change that drastically between now and then?

Block value is of course of use, but that scales identically in protection for pallys and warriors iirc (+30% for both), they gain threat from it, however from what I have seen block is primarily of use on aoe fights, where consecration has the odd threat scaling from multiple mobs which I can't see not resulting in us still retaining higher threat.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Agravaine
Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:11 pm
Blizzard has simply made Expertise Rating too cheap itemization-wise. I expect either large diminishing returns on expertise in WotLK or an expertise adjustment similar to the haste rating adjustment that was done earlier.