Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Math] Paladin threat generation

Agravaine
Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am
Yeah, your dps (and your dps) from Seal of Righteousness is essentially independent of your swing speed.

So, while you swing slower with a slower weapon, each hit is slightly more powerful, thus balancing it out.
Agravaine
Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 am
Also, I have to say that I'm getting a much higher coefficient for spell damage scaling than what you get. I have to go back over my math.

Also, I think to be a realistic model, we need to figure out how to deal with partial resists.
Fearonir
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 am
Okay, so, for us BE Tankadins out there. Does S(J)oR generate more threat than S(J)oB? Since we take a bit of damage from the seal hits and more from the judgement, thereby allowing us to generate more threat from the various healing methods available?

AND do JoW and JoL generate threat at all for us? Because currently I use S(J)oB and JoW because my mana pool is ~5500 unbuffed and I find I go through mana like it isn't there at all. So I find my mana pool stays pretty steady during fights because of the combination of S(J)oB and JoW. Should I not be doing this as it subjects me to more damage that needs to be healed through?

BTW, don't armory me now, my guild decided I needed to be Holy to heal for our 2nd Kara group and my 1700-1800 +healing makes me think they'll not allow me to tank anything worthwhile except for 5 mans.
_________________
Worldie
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 am
JoW and JoL fail at generating threat.

SoB/JoB instead are good in the early raiding (Karazhan) when you are using a warrior-type weapon and having very low spelldamage. After you even get 100ish spelldamage without the weapon SoR becomes more effective than SoB even with a no-spelldam weapon.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Fearonir
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:44 am
iirc I've got around 245-260 sp damage using the continuum blade with 40 sp damage enchant. From what I've seen, at around the sp damage point I'm at I can stop stacking as much and move to the other stats I need, mainly block, with holy shield and Libram of Repentance I can get ~48% block, but base is only ~12-13%.

Most of the time I judge wisdom for the casters and myself more for mana regen than any threat help. I was considering picking up King's Defender with 40sp damage or getting the LC Gavel, but I'm not sure.

I do know that in 5-mans, I normally generate around 650-700tps. And with 2pc Dungeon set 3 bonus, I spam consecrate a little more often than I did before.

WTB a guild that will let me tank.
_________________
Fearonir
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:42 pm
So I ~could~ be generating more threat by simply using JoW and S(J)oB like I do? Interesting. In heroic UB, I gained 27,000 mana from JoW and SA, so that'd be around 13,500 threat?
_________________
Brittin
Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:09 pm

JoV

Can someone add the S/JoV calc to the front of this post. I am thinking with the changes to JoV and precision that it is now (finally) a better tanking tool then S/JoR
_________________
Brittin
70 Tankadin of Ysera
Guild Equilibrium
Agravaine
Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 pm
Ok, hopefully building on the work done by Arcand here and accounting for most variables I can determine. I'm also trying to account for partial resists and glancing blows.

Assumptions:

Non-human
3/3 precision
3/3 righteous fury
5/5 1hd spec
2/2 Improved Holy Shield
5/5 Wpn X (2.3 version)
2/2 Improved Judgment
0/0 Reckoning
Lvl 73 target
SoR+JoR
Consecrate
No Sanctity Aura
No Blessing of Sanctuary
No Darkmoon Trinket
14% base spell resist (because 3/3 precision)
15.5% base melee "resist" (because of 3/3 precision and 5/5 Weapon X)
25% chance melee glancing blows @ 30% DR
35% DR for melee damage
2 Blocks per 10 seconds
No exorcism
No Avenger's Shield
Base spell crit = 6.0%
Base Melee Crit = 6.0%

Variables:
SD = spell damage
SH = spell hit
SC = spell crit
MH = melee hit
MC = melee crit
DC = duty cycle of consecration
WS = Weapon Speed
DPS = Weapon DPS

TPS Calculations:

Total TPS = SoR + JoR + HS + Cons +White

SoR TPS = 1.995*(0.845+MH)(0.86+SH)(22+20*WS+0.092*WS*SD)

JoR TPS = (218+0.5*SD)*1.995*(0.86+SH)*(1.03+SC/2)/8

HS TPS = (155+0.05*SD)*1.995*1.20*1.35*(0.86+SH)*2/10

Cons TPS = (64+0.96*SD/8 )*1.995*(0.86+SH)*DC

White TPS = (DPS+ATK/14)*(1.06+MC)*(0.845+MH)*(0.65)*(0.925)*1.05
Dorvan
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:02 pm
Nitpicks:

-- I believe the consecration coefficient is 96%, not 98%

-- It looks like you haven't added the benefit of 1H spec to white damage
Dorvan
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:30 pm
Actually, you're also using rank 1 consecrate, in which case the coefficient will be lower (I'm not sure exactly what is though).
Agravaine
Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:31 pm
No, that is correct.

512 is max rank base damage / 8 seconds per 1 second tick = 64
Dorvan
Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:47 pm
Ah, I was reading the 64 as being inside the parens and divided by 8, never mind Wink