Skip to content
Maintankadin

Improved tanking simulator

AergisAergis's avatar
Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:32 am
Odd, the only way I can get Maulgar to hit me for 8,000 is to put my armor all the way down to 3,000... But I can't imagine what you are doing wrong?
_________________
Trinsian
Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:27 am
I don't know if maybe the healers are coded too well or what, but when I input:

12000 max hp
16000 armor
11 miss
16 dodge
13 parry
10 block
200 block val
(Which leaves me completely crushable, and plenty of normal hits getting through)

2 healers
10000 mana
1500 plus heal
20 spell crit
110 mp5

tclap and demo shout up, no imp_holyshield

I had spike death less than 1% of the time on maulgar, and 0% on curator/maiden after doing 300 of each fight.

Lowered armor to 14000, almost the same results, slightly more (a little over 1%) spike damage deaths on maulgar.

I just don't see how a completely crushable, 14k armor tank *can't* have more spike damage deaths on these fights. The healers are going OOM pretty quickly (1-2 minutes), so obviously this tank wouldn't be able to *actually* complete the encounter, but I would still expect to see some spike damage deaths, and it makes me wonder if I'm inputting something incorrectly, or at the actual usefulness of the calculator itself?

*Edit: I also notice when I input block as 0, block value as 0, I'm still getting some "High King Maulgar hits you for XXXX (0 blocked)"
AergisAergis's avatar
Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:39 am
The healers are spamming max rank greater heal, canceling if you are close to topped off. In game, no healer would be as fast as in the sim, obviously. While your tank setup had pretty low stats for Maulgar your healers were quite well geared. My guess is your healers with that high +heal and crit were able to keep you up ( barely ) for most of the time, until they go oom as you said rather quickly.

The sim is not meant to be a realistic "Can i survive XXX boss?". The goal was primarily to compare stats on gear and help make better decisions on things like "should I use devilshark or guilded thorium cloak for a boss that hits slower than 2.5?". You should be able to see subtle but reliable differences in spike damage or length of fight / avg damage per hit when comparing things like armor vs. dodge, or more HP vs. block rating on a really fast attacking boss, etc.

Also the boss damages are only estimates. Maulgar for example may simply not have enough raw damage as he does in game. Also in game, he does two seperate special attacks on seperate timers, which sometimes can time up just wrong and one shot even the best geared tanks. I felt that was a bit too complex to setup ( not to code, but to have multiples of specials with all seperate timers would add another bunch of fields to fill in for the user, and theres already a bunch ).


As for the 0 block blocking, you still have holy shield and redoubt.... Very Happy
_________________
Trinsian
Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:25 pm
Well, my original goal with my test was to establish a baseline "Ok, this crappy geared tank gets completely destroyed, now I have something to work from", and instead ended up with "Geez, if this crappy tank can tank these guys, and doesn't get spiked, how can I use this to judge my gear." For healers I just threw in stats from my pally's pre-raid healing stats with a slightly higher mana pool to account for a pot or shadow priest, figuring it would be a good estimate for healers equal to my pre-raid tanking gear.

Maybe since the healers in the sim are near-perfect, using 1 instead of 2 would give a better baseline? Or maybe 2 healers but with lower +healing and crit?

I understand you don't want to get into adding too many bells and whistles, since it becomes more of a raid simulator at that point, but I'd love any recommendations you have for a setup other than the tank stats (healers/boss/etc) to get a good gear comparison
Oramac
Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:37 am
not sure how easy it is to do, but is there any chance for more boss presets? i have no idea what the stats are for bosses at all. would be sweet to test more than just maiden curator and maulgar.

thanks!
_________________