Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Math] Paladin threat generation

Everlight
Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm
I tend to be pretty critical of myself, and I have to say, I really have not been pleased with my overall threat generation lately. Admittedly, on Kara trash I'm packing ~430 spellpower, and that's fine, but it's on non-Exorcisable, slow-hitting, single-target mobs where I have to use my raid tank set that I'm not pleased.

Basically, I have the devil of a time cracking 500 tps. On some bosses it's nearly impossible to do so, since they aren't hitting me hard enough to let me keep up with the Consecration spam, so I have to judge Wisdom or some guff.

I've fairly quickly worked out that I need to lay down my first Judgement and Consecration BEFORE my Holy Shield (or cast Holy Shield early so that by the time the mob gets to me I can lay down Judgement/Consecration before the HS refresh.

Is this normal? Is this comparable to Warriors? Am I placing unreasonable expectations on myself? How can I ramp up my threat further? I've started using Arcane Elixirs and Wizard Oil, but it's not making an incredible difference.

Bear in mind on fast-swinging demons in my threat gear, I can crack 2k tps, and I generate mad tps on other fast-swingers in my raid gear, it's just on the slow swingers I seem to be having trouble.
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
corc
Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 pm
sounds about right to me, maybe wear more block than dodge so you take a little more damage (you probably have plenty of BV to take the hits).

I usually don't start cons until after my second judge (be it wisd|cru) so maybe that will give you another 1.5s to recast HS.

Another thing, you can just let yourself be open to that first hit (I know bad idea everyone says) so you can recoup the mana you just used on wings/shield/seal/judge/HS/etc. Let your healers know to expect it so they can land a heal right after you engage.

also, are you using righteous or vengeance? if vengeance, are your stacks falling off? (probably not since you've got the LC mace)

If you've got the T4 gloves/helm maybe try those on for the bonus since you are way out gearing the people who first tanked gruul/mag successfully in my old guild. At least until you get the shoulders, then put that nice helm back on Smile
_________________
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
Girard
Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:30 pm
Odd.

I'm coming up with 1135 tps on my sheet which doesn't seem to jive with what I've seen on KTM.

Here's the numbers/talents that would affect it:
Weapon SPD/DPS: 1.8 / 47.7dps
AP: 590
Spelldamage: 409
+10% SoR (T4 2pc)
+10% holy (Sanctity aura)
+218 holy (Imp JotC)
+5% to all damage (1hd Spec)

Maybe my formula's off?

1 holy shield block shouldn't generate 400+ TPS alone >.>
Girard
Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:58 am
Just another note..

Your data doesn't take into the account of:
> Imp holy shield (+20% damage means holy shield ticks for 185)
> The extra threat from holy shield
> Blessing of Sanctuary
RunRabbit
Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:54 am
On bosses like prince I burst like 1k tps easily
_________________
- RunRabbit
Suikano
Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 am

Another thing

Nobody so far that I've seen has mentioned the threat generated by darkmoon card: vengeance. I would think (not having one myself nor having leveled up with a tankadin spec) that this might be filling in some of the gaps people are seeing between expected and actual threat generation.
_________________