Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do you explain your lower health?

Kracus
Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 am
I remember in BC, I joined a group for H DP. And I generally ran around in a cloth witch hat, some 2hander, festive dress and something else, so my HP was maybe 10k.

Hunter comment that my hp was too low after asking who the tank was then left the group. I started doing it on purpose just to weed out the dumb idiots who couldn't use their brain.

I don't say anything either, dps is a dime a dozen, you wanna go: leave. I did Heroic UP with 2 healers, a lock that couldn't break 900 dps and a feral druid that I beat on the meter and we did it in 50 minutes, with only one wipe cause of a bad fear at the room before the king.

Most recent was a H Nexus group and they needed a healer for the last spot and obviously the healer was looking at LFG just like I was and saw they filled that spot so asked "What's the tanks gear like?". Generally I just shrug stuff of but sometimes I have a short temper and just made some asshole comment about the amount of emblems I have. Or something along the line of I'm working on the 1000 emblem achievement, that's how my tanking gear is.

But that's how you have to be eventually, you are the tank, take lead and don't ask questions; tell them what they are going to do and not do. Aside from the annoying boomkins and mages that want to knock back all the time, that is just a futile effort (that I still beat on the meters cause they are clueless).
_________________

Your mom is a 6 pull.
Frickit
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 am
I try not to pug but when I do I pretty much take the attitude of "ok lone pugger in lfg its your lucky day to do fast painless heroics with a leet group" I actually had more than one pugger the other day and I was of course riding around in my farming gear which is a mix of stuff....first thing I get is "thats our tank?"

Do morons just assume that people do everything in their top gear? I mean do you have any idea how expensive my tank set is to wear all the time lol
I should weed them out that way.
_________________
Aedolfmawini
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:09 pm
Wait a minute. So, you guys are saying that if somebody questions you while you're wearing dumb gear... they're wrong? Seriously?

I would recommend against assuming people are morons simply because you can't bother to have proper gear equipped when grouping with them and they wonder what's up with you. Just as you would probably have a poor opinion of some dps coming to a heroic wearing full "of the bandit" greens, they would justifiably have a poor opinion of some holier than thou tank that thinks it's below them to have others question them about gear. Oh, but maybe they're trying to "weed you out". Rolling Eyes

It seems to me that several of you may not have any recent experience playing on the other side of the fence. Do you know how many ass tanking, heroic strike spamming, ~40 defense below uncrittable pug tanks that wipe on trash I've seen recently? Nobody wants to group with those. Everyone wants to scream "Put the mobs in front of you, retard!".

How do you try to prevent the hour+ of pain that will occur if you have one of those? You look at them and ask questions. Being a tank does not suddenly make you infallible, nor everyone around you an idiot... especially when you are displaying the most visible "qualities" of said person type.
Warden
Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 pm
After my play time changed to about 14 hours different than our peak server time, I've had to do a lot of pugging lately, and discovered through being patient that often people ask this question because of bad experiences with other pug tanks.
Case and point: Doing heroic AN shortly after hitting 80, I had a dps that I had known for quite a while whisper me and ask if my health was high enough for the last boss. His was an honest concern, and it floored me to learn that he (being ranged) didn't know that a tank could dodge the pounds... Every heroic AN he'd been in, all pugs, had been tanked by people that just stood there and ate the damage. Leveling my DK and shammy now, I'm beginning to see his point about just how many horrible tanks there are out there in LFG, and even worse, many seem utterally unwilling to learn/improve.

Here's to changing their mind, one pug run at a time.
Slavke
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 am
I have yet to be asked what my health is, though I'm normally the one making the PuG in the first place. I started tanking heroics at 21k hp, yet no one complained as to what my health was. Though its starting to help that my reputation is preceding me now as many a time there is at least one person I've grouped with in the group.

At this point now, I stand at 26k health, and stand around silently chuckling at our warrior "MT" that only has 500 more health than I do at this point now. I'm hoping the next patch will push me above his, which I would personally find amusing.
_________________
Sockpuppet
Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 am
I've (fortunally) never got the "Why is your HP so low?" question in WotLK, the few times that I PUG I often get the "You'll pull to many groups if you do that." and "Ok it's a wipe" followed by "LOL! How did you not die?" and "Paladin tanks are OP, they can't die and are #1 on DPSmeter" .. It's actually quite amusing.
_________________
Sunburns are clearly our body's way of telling us we need to hurry up and evolve some armor plating or something.
skrith2
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:55 am
I just say I'm block capped, and if they don't know wtf that means, I don't want to pug with them.

One of our guild healers was actually joking about how he had to pay attention in the pug he was in because his tank at the time actually took damage.
_________________
Mishakal
Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm
Actually I have made the mistake of asking why the tanks HP was so low ...

It was in TBC and it was for heroic Mech, when the tanked joined I was like, I must have better tanking gear HP was low (was holy at the time) ... so I asked ...

When the tank arrived via a portal and proceeded to put his actual tanking gear on .... all T6+ ... I shut up.

Did have a hunter the other day say I didnt have enough health for heroics, was at 19K, I even told him I was in my ret gear and it would be fine ... he left the party ... my guildies though it was funny ...

I found an extra 9K health in my tanking gear, I wispered the hunter to explain and he was like "invite me back", I was like "sorry found another DPS.
_________________
Onore
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 am
Indeed, good stuff.

I took of my gear (naked) and healer left. Seems that people only look at HP as mentioned before by many people. With different gear than I'm wearing atm I'm 31.2k and ~103 avoidance with HS.

Being about ~200 stamina more than our warrior tank and still only same amount of health is kinda disappointing.
_________________
Levantine
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am
Lol, people are stupid. I got passed over to tank 25man Sarth with no drakes simply because I was a Death Knight. Never mind I had 3k hp more than the other tanks, as well as 65% pure avoidance and 24k armor.
_________________
Levantine: Frost Tank
Anzen: Restogoat
Popeadin: Retardin