Skip to content
Maintankadin

Regardling Paladin Threat Scaling

Dorvan
Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:37 am
Regardless, the exact details of heroic strike are a little bit offtopic....let's focus back in on scaling.
_________________
Bryne
Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 am
I was under the impression that stacking expertise past the "dodge cap" was sort of a waste, even in theorycraft.
Arcand
Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 am
I made a spreadsheet in which you can test specific values, but I haven't tried to regress it to a formula. (It's tough because there are as many as 4-5 important variables.)

http://www.29tharmor.com/WoW/SoV2p23.xls

I downloaded a Monte Carlo plug-in for Excel, so I could test a set of stats a thousand times in about fifteen seconds. Here's the thread where I posted a few results:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=4380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/46/15 - 11/11 Kara, 4/6 Zul'Aman
Russia tanked the nazis while the allies DPSed.
Splug
Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:47 am
I suppose my question is: on what grounds are we talking about threat? Threat in heavy defensive gear, threat in threat-oriented gear, or threat in a random stat-gimped set such as resistance gear? From the warrior angle, it does make a drastic difference regarding how much or well we can scale.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Splug
Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:18 pm
In the case of heavy mitigation gear, warriors can still do quite a bit to crank up threat: hit and expertise probably aren't capped, and are excellent stats for ramping up our threat. In this case, I understand that hit and expertise contribute more average threat per second than paladin spellpower will, putting us at a scaling advantage.

In threat gear, warriors have already reached the hard caps on dodge-reduction and miss-reduction. Block value is the only avenue left for our scaling, and it's an inefficient stat compared to the previous options. According to the itemization posted back on page 2 or 3, it's also significantly inferior to the scaling for paladin's spellpower. In short, our potential threat scaling in heavy threat gear is somewhere between "terrible" and "nonexistant," with the noted exception that the 1.5-speed sword will increase threat in an infinite or extremely high rage scenario.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug