Skip to content
Maintankadin

Reckoning Uptime Graphed

Spectrum
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:31 pm
I couldn't resist. I ran a few numbers.

I'll see if I can make some graphs for different weapon speeds.

Edit: Looking at the problem a more useful metric might be the percentage of swings that reckoning is up, not the total time. It's basically the same thing, but I think % of swings is easier to calculate.
klari
Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:34 am
I've always loved reckoning and missed it heavily when I went tank spec so the opportunity to get back a vast majority of it is awesome. However, what would be a good viable build?

I've grown incredibly accustom to PoJ purely because AS/LoS is my pulling strat of choice (especially after the CC fix in 2.4) but where else can my points come from?

Here's what I've come up with so far:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIh0zGgqtV0x0h

By sacrificing Imp Judgement (which has already been discussed in these forums) and Spell Warding I can get close to the 3/5 Reckoning and 3/3 PoJ build...however and here's where it starts getting sticky, I need to sacrifice 2 points from Anticipation (8 Defense Skill, not rating).

Now I realize thats already been discussed ad nausea but consider these points:

1) The only time you're worried about 490 defense if is its vs a lvl 73 boss which means you'll be wearing your MT gear anyway (from the PoV of someone whose pally has never set foot in SSC/TK so no resist fights). If thats the case, most people have greater than 500 typically greater than 510 defense in full tanking gear...which means 8 less points will still keep you uncrittable based on defense.

2) 8 Defense Skill @ 2.4 Defense Rating per Defense Skill = 19.2 Defense Rating.
19.2 Defense rating after 102.4% avoidance (@ 0.05% avoidance per Defense Rating) translates to about 0.96% overall avoidance. Which means if you have 5/5 Anticipation and your total avoidance is greater than 103.36%, dropping 2 points will still keep you at or above uncrushable.

The main losing point of doing this is the -8 defense which doesn't really break the bank provided you have greater than 498 defense and 103.36% avoidance with HS up and 5/5 Anticipation currently. (also that thing about parried extra attacks...)

But you gain by doing this you gain a very nice threat tool that consequently also increases your soloing abilities outside of instances.
Arsyn
Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 am
I am loving Reckoning. The other day we raided Hyjal and I was spamming Consecrate and when Reckoning was up, put Seal of Light on. That many attacks hitting me I gained plenty of health back from perma-reckoning Wink
_________________

Turkesh
Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:25 pm
ok i have a question i put 3 points into reckoning instead of 5/5 parry, which is now 2/5 parry so i could remain uncrushable, should i put the points back to push my avoidance as much as possible or can i leave it(if you happen to armory i might be in my ret gear i was doin dailies but i have 496 def 23% dodge 12% parry and 27% block)
Narcil
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 am
I have 3 points in it, even though I tank up to Hyjal, and now that I have learned how to manage it, I am very happy with the results
Damiun
Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 am
One more question, wouldnt a 1.8 speed be best to maximize the damage of SoR?

Balendro
Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:11 am
Very interesting post - I wish I had room for Reckoning in my build. I may take something like http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIh0dGgqtVox next time I respec.

I wonder what point Reckoning would generate more threat than One Hand Weapon Spec, if ever. Obviously you'd want both to maximize TPS. Hmm.
cordelia
Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm
I don't see why everyone seems to think the sweet spot is 3/5. For single target threat, it seems pretty obvious that 4/5 is much better uptime/talent point.

Btw, the reason I'm uncertain of 3/5 vs. 4/5 vs. 5/5 calculations is mostly because tankadins tend to use weapons with 1.6 and 1.8 swing timers. That's going to cut down on reckoning uptime, and may change the sweet spot. Also, the sweet spot _should_ change based on avoidance, and I would hazard a guess that higher avoidance numbers would tilt the sweet spot towards 5/5 over 4/5.
_________________
Balendro
Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:22 pm
though it's hard to tell for sure, that chart makes it look like that going from 3 points to 4 points has a greater percentage increase in uptime than going from 4 to 5, on single targets - but over the greater trend of multiple mobs, well...

As to why my build has only 3, I couldn't find where to pull points from. Though I can possibly pull Kings from my build, the rest of my raid *might* hate me... and in 5 mans, it'd kinda be meh. It's useful at times.

Reckoning feels kind of like an unexplored area of prot paladin theorycraft, heh.
Mithos
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:25 am
I am running with 2/5 reckoning now: my normal build -kings -1/3 precision. Cannot get any more points out of anything as I need maximum avoidance from talents for Brut/Eredar twins. It is up quite a lot at Brutallus >_>.
_________________

Arthurious
Sat May 10, 2008 6:53 am
isn't it bad for brutallus because 1 parry is pretty much an insta death?