Belarkan wrote:
I don't really feel like getting around 9% more EH for free is a fair thing.
It's much more fair when you consider we were behind on EH compared to other tanks.

Belarkan wrote:
I don't really feel like getting around 9% more EH for free is a fair thing.
Worldie wrote:It's much more fair when you consider we were behind on EH compared to other tanks.
Belarkan wrote:Honorshammer wrote:2. Paladins need a second cooldown. The new AD on the PTR is not Overpowered! At least not in its current form. Yes, the first couple of passes were very strong, but I think they've got it to a point that balanced. Other tanks cooldowns allow them to survive stuff they wouldn't otherwise have survived, and that's precisely what AD does. It's just with AD, you KNOW you would have died otherwise. The other tanks probably would have died as wel IF they didn't pop their second (and sometimes third!) cooldowns.
I don't really feel like getting around 9% more EH for free is a fair thing.
Honorshammer wrote:There's 2 parts to AD (making a fantastic value for those talent points). First is the Guardian Spirit Cooldown, which I was discussing above.
The second, and the area you seem to have a concern over, is the damage reduction on hits that take the Paladin below 35%. The ONLY change from they way AD is on Live, right now, is the addition of it not being Leapfrogged.
The real question is 'Are Paladins balanced against all other tanking classes with the additional EH provided by a non leapfroggable AD?' I have not yet seen credible evidence to support that Paladin's are far and away all other tanks from this simple change. If you have seen this evidence, I ask you to present it to be evaluated.
Worldie wrote:Just compare armor and HP.
Honorshammer wrote:Well we do spend talent points for it, so I don't see how you can say it's 'for free'.
On fights like Vezax, it doesn't help much at all. As a paladin tank, I'll still have to kite while the DK stands there.
Belarkan wrote:Well, Although we haven't killed Vezax yet (9% at our best try) you can tank&spank him already as a paladin. I did it with 2 Disc. priest but guardian spirit or divine sacrifice also did the job.
Belarkan wrote:Honorshammer wrote:2. Paladins need a second cooldown. The new AD on the PTR is not Overpowered! At least not in its current form. Yes, the first couple of passes were very strong, but I think they've got it to a point that balanced. Other tanks cooldowns allow them to survive stuff they wouldn't otherwise have survived, and that's precisely what AD does. It's just with AD, you KNOW you would have died otherwise. The other tanks probably would have died as wel IF they didn't pop their second (and sometimes third!) cooldowns.
I don't really feel like getting around 9% more EH for free is a fair thing.
Honorshammer wrote:Belarkan wrote:Well, Although we haven't killed Vezax yet (9% at our best try) you can tank&spank him already as a paladin. I did it with 2 Disc. priest but guardian spirit or divine sacrifice also did the job.
You provide compelling evidence here that Paladins do in fact need the buff. You require EXTERNAL cooldowns, other tanks (specifically DKs) do not.
Honorshammer wrote:Belarkan wrote:Well, Although we haven't killed Vezax yet (9% at our best try) you can tank&spank him already as a paladin. I did it with 2 Disc. priest but guardian spirit or divine sacrifice also did the job.
You provide compelling evidence here that Paladins do in fact need the buff. You require EXTERNAL cooldowns, other tanks (specifically DKs) do not.
Honorshammer wrote:1. HoSalv glyph is NOT a Tanking cooldown. If you are really using HoSalv on Vezzax and not killing your mages, well I'm not sure I know what to say. Mine would be dead, along with my Warlock and Elemental Shaman. HoSalv Glyph was intended for PVP (and I love it there) and we are using it for a second cooldown because
2. Paladins need a second cooldown. The new AD on the PTR is not Overpowered! At least not in its current form. Yes, the first couple of passes were very strong, but I think they've got it to a point that balanced. Other tanks cooldowns allow them to survive stuff they wouldn't otherwise have survived, and that's precisely what AD does. It's just with AD, you KNOW you would have died otherwise. The other tanks probably would have died as wel IF they didn't pop their second (and sometimes third!) cooldowns.
Dantriges wrote:Honorshammer wrote:Belarkan wrote:Well, Although we haven't killed Vezax yet (9% at our best try) you can tank&spank him already as a paladin. I did it with 2 Disc. priest but guardian spirit or divine sacrifice also did the job.
You provide compelling evidence here that Paladins do in fact need the buff. You require EXTERNAL cooldowns, other tanks (specifically DKs) do not.
Well in 3.2 the Dk will ask for a second cd because IBF is now on a 2 min cd and I am not sure that a druid would just stand there.
Nadir wrote:Even with 15% "free" EH, we're still behind Druids (about 5.7% less than PVE geared, and 8.5% less than PVP geared) when passive physical mitigation and armor are taken into account. We're getting raised to second place "OP" status. I still agree it's unfair to Death Knights and Warriors, but I don't really feel sympathetic to the former given that they were allowed to trivialize two full tiers of content.
Wardari wrote:The glyph actually works pretty well and we only use this for normal mode anyway where the DPS requirements aren't an issue, and again this is only used when we don't have other cooldowns available to tank through the enrage (usually two retadins with guradian spirit and bubble plus my own shield wall usually do the trick nicely). For hard mode we use the kiting strat as it's simply not viable on healer mana to tank through the enrages, unless you're using a Blood DK ofc
Wardari wrote:Not to mention that we currently have to lose our AD for 2 minutes because the guardian spirit part is so good - I don't recall other tanks loosing a part of their main mitigation or effective health after using their cooldowns.
Wardari wrote:I personally feel fine in terms of effective health if you look at our position, I currently have far far more health than our Warrior tanks and thanks to Devo Aura I have more armor too...
Wardari wrote:TL:DR version - Paladins are in a fairly good position regarding effective health right now I certainly feel comfortable with 25 mans and the new AD will compliment this perfectly giving us that little bit more edge. I do however still maintain that the guardian spirit part is too much and they should remove it and find a way to give us another minor cooldown like the Druids Barkskin - my Glyph suggestion may seem a bit crap as we'd have to glyph for this but this is no different to Warriors having to Glyph for Last Stand and Shield Wall currently.
Wardari wrote:The glyph actually works pretty well and we only use this for normal mode anyway where the DPS requirements aren't an issue, and again this is only used when we don't have other cooldowns available to tank through the enrage (usually two retadins with guradian spirit and bubble plus my own shield wall usually do the trick nicely). For hard mode we use the kiting strat as it's simply not viable on healer mana to tank through the enrages, unless you're using a Blood DK ofc
toothdecaykills wrote:On hard mode, the DPS requirements are such that kiting is not an option. Our DK tank MUST be the MT here because none of our other available classes can cut it. Even though external cooldowns COULD get me through it, IBF tivializes the encounter because it's available for every Surge. The external cooldowns that I would need to enable the fight can then be used on the DK at any other time in order to reduce incoming damage and increase the longevity of our healer's mana.
Wardari wrote:Not to mention that we currently have to lose our AD for 2 minutes because the guardian spirit part is so good - I don't recall other tanks loosing a part of their main mitigation or effective health after using their cooldowns.
toothdecaykills wrote:I believe this is incorrect. The current AD doesn't do this. It was only the original (and super powerful) version that had this effect. AD will still mitigate even after it saves you.
Wardari wrote:I personally feel fine in terms of effective health if you look at our position, I currently have far far more health than our Warrior tanks and thanks to Devo Aura I have more armor too...
toothdecaykills wrote:Devotion Aura is not exclusive to you and the Warrior can and usually will have access to it as well.
Wardari wrote:TL:DR version - Paladins are in a fairly good position regarding effective health right now I certainly feel comfortable with 25 mans and the new AD will compliment this perfectly giving us that little bit more edge. I do however still maintain that the guardian spirit part is too much and they should remove it and find a way to give us another minor cooldown like the Druids Barkskin - my Glyph suggestion may seem a bit crap as we'd have to glyph for this but this is no different to Warriors having to Glyph for Last Stand and Shield Wall currently.
toothdecaykills wrote:Warriors do not HAVE to Glyph for Shield Wall. Glyphing it allows it's use as an emergency tool more often, and may be key when first learning an encounter. However, on the hard mode fights that are built around the expectation of a cooldown, it is a far stronger tool to use unglyphed. Keep in mind that there is a distinction between emergency tools and cooldowns used to respond to a fight mechanic. For example, a premature healer death or DC would warrant the use of an emergency tool, but such a situation can never be predicted. Fusion Punch expects the use of such a tool and so you can prepare and time it accordingly each and every time.
The new AD will provide exactly what Is needed for both cases. I want to be able to use a second cooldown to eat an Unbalancing Strike. I want to be able to sit through two Fusion Punches without having to stack the raid. I want to be able to rely on something else when the shit hits the fan. What strikes me as unique about AD is truly only apparent when you consider the package as a whole. The passive damage mitigation will specifially reduce those hits and those situations so dangerous that you'd want to pop an emergency button. In this way it works as a sort of anti-cooldown by passively reducing the moments where we'd need to pop an emergency button while providing the survivability tool we need to compete through fights that expect and are designed around their use.
jere wrote:They changed AD a few PTR patches ago. The DR still exists after the GS effect goes off.
Also, I think his point was (if I read it right) if you are going to include Devo Aura only for pallies, you can't say we have more health. Warriors will have more health with CS up. Either you need to include them separately, meaning warriors have more health and pallies have more armor, or you need to include them for both, where pallies have more health sometimes and both have about the same armor.