Skip to content
Maintankadin

Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Ascendant
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:22 am

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

theckhd wrote:I'd rather see a revamp where BV and BR are merged into a single Block Rating stat. Each point of this new stat would give 1 Block Value and 0.05% Block Rating. Numbers pulled out of thin air of course, but at least this way we'd never have to "waste" itemization points on a useless stat - it would always give us something.

the problem with leaving block as a static amount of damage reduction is that it's value/costs will have to be changed with each tier of raiding content to keep it balanced with the increase in boss damage. I just want them to find a way to make it scale on its own.
Araceli
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 am

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Ascendant wrote:forum's filled with optimists today huh?
3. the threat nerf to shield of righteousness may yet be compensated by the damage increase to seal of vengeance/corruption. this may also result in a change in our optimal tanking spec. go take a look at a WWS (or substitute) parse of some of your fights, multiply your Shor damage by 0.77 and your melee damage by 1.33 to get a rough estimate. I will probably do this myself later. the shor nerf was necessary though, having most of our damage weighted on one ability is bad, especially in a pvp setting.


So I just took the stats from my wws and this is what it turns out to be...

Melee, 214,285
ShoR, 204,340

If we apply the 3.2 changes, ShoR's damage would now be 157,341 but my melee damage would increase to 278,570. The overall increase is 17,286 for damage output. Now that SoV's changes have each swing doing 33% extra damage as holy, add righteous fury, and I would say that this is helping our threat.
Vedge
Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

You are also forgettng that LoOs will be at 100% uptime. That should make all our ShoR hits benefit from increased BV( as opposed to ~1 every 2 slams). Well assuming they won't change it.
Mayu
Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:42 am

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Whether 3.2 changes to block and ShoR is a buff or a nerf depends strictly on your gear.
If +block amount on your gear amounts to at least 42,85% of your block from strength\shield this will result in a buff.
If not, obviously a nerf.

Proof:
x - block from strength/shield
y- +block from items as percentage of x
1,3;1 - ShoR multiplication factors

(x+yx)1,3 = (x+2yx)1
1,3x+1,3yx = x + 2yx
x(1,3+1,3y) = x(1+2y) /x; x>0
1,3+1,3y = 1+2y
0,3 = 0,7y
y = 0,4285

If you calculate in a 100% uptime to LoOS, as opposed to 50% uptime now the percentage goes down to 21,48% (estimate).
WATERBOYsh
Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

This is kinda OT but kinda not at the same time. I didn't want to create a new post just to ask a very simple question.

I have never seen a tanking shield drop in any dungeon past 10 man naxx... so im stuck with the ilevel 200 one with BR and BV. When 3.2 hits (assuming I still have this shield) my assumption is that the base block value on it will stay the same, but the part that says Increases BV by X amount will double. Is that a safe assumption? I'm just curious.
fuzzygeek
Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

WATERBOYsh wrote:This is kinda OT but kinda not at the same time. I didn't want to create a new post just to ask a very simple question.

I have never seen a tanking shield drop in any dungeon past 10 man naxx... so im stuck with the ilevel 200 one with BR and BV. When 3.2 hits (assuming I still have this shield) my assumption is that the base block value on it will stay the same, but the part that says Increases BV by X amount will double. Is that a safe assumption? I'm just curious.


Yes.