Skip to content
Maintankadin

Prot Spec? Why bother.... For most of the game anyways.

Spamdrew
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:49 am
Why so much hate people?

Lets be clear all he said is that he has been tanking Nax and heroics in a ret/prot hybrid build and that he is not having any issues with the loss of avoidance talents. He is not telling us to all spec like him nor is he saying that his build is better for whatever level content is "hard" for you. Honestly he is probably right 98% of the time the extra dps from being ret will be more useful than that extra edge in survivability. Heck it makes you a lot more useful if you are an off tank in Nax as you can dps much better when you are not needed to tank.

TL:DR It is a reasonable option for farm content and that is all he is actually saying.
_________________
Equitas
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 am
Because i like having 30K+ HP unbuffed Razz Thats why i go prot Razz
_________________
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Prope
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:22 am
Quite shocking to see this much negative bickering on this forum.

That one of our fellow paladins drops by to report that it is posible to tank most of the current content with a ret spec, is by no means reason to flame her.

I did a bit of ret-tanking back in late BC, and it is nice to know that it is still viable.

Not all of us might be changing spec because of this, but please keep it civil.

Worldie
Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 am
For how odd it can be, some of us like being prot and farming as prot and don't feel the needing of 2shotting any mob.

Nontheless, Rettanking has it's advantage, one of us is having your own CC and already bringing Replenishment to the group. I did that on beta, couldn't be arsed on live.

That doesn't mean that everyone should go retri because a couple of us like 2shotting mobs. Some of us, as i said, like being protection, and still 2shot mobs (hai 13k ShoR)
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Vioarr
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 am
I'm happy that you had success in tanking as Ret, but to be honest the tone of your post is a bit antagonistic. The simple fact that you are missing out on core protection abilities/talents shows that your spec is "subpar". Now, subpar doesn't mean that you can't tank a heroic or a normal instance, or hell even heal tanks on Vault, but it is not the optimal setup. Being block capped is a huge advantage over a well/equal geared tank, much less a retribution specced Paladin in prot gear.

I think that you're misunderstanding the point of people saying that it's "subpar", and to be honest getting into a pissing match over heroics is just plain foolish. Not to mention that this is what WoW dev's were shooting for anyways, so it's not really new news.

And as far as respeccing costs, well that's just the name of the game. I wouldn't begin to bring those up as many SWP Paladins had to respec multiple times a night for specific boss encounters, much less days at a time.
_________________
Aedolfmawini
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:50 am
I had to respec holy for saph in naxx 10 the other day (2 healers is not enough yet), and then subsequently tanked KT adds in that spec with prot gear. I did not die and I held threat just fine (spamming holy shock and instant flashes on myself), but I did take 40%+ more damage without prot spec. I suspect ret would be a similar case. Your success is based MUCH more on the skill of your healers than the value of your spec while tanking. I would NEVER main tank a fight in a 10 man or beyond while not at least a [i]mostly[/] prot spec.