Skip to content
Maintankadin

Theorycraft Episode V:harlekin's DR Spreadsheet Strikes Back

Xanthoren
Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 am
Am I to understand that the numbers printed on the armory character sheet have DR taken into account?

I've entered my info into the spreadsheet, and it reports exactly the same Dodge/Parry/Block as my character sheet... but I was under the impression that the character sheet did not take into account DR, but the spreadsheet does take it into account.

Am I just misunderstanding either the purpose or use of the spreadsheet?

Edit: It also is not calculating my HP correctly. My character sheet shows stamina 2142 (158+1984) and I have 28174 unbuffed HP, but the spreadsheet is calculating only 25070 HP. I'm sure I've just entered something incorrectly.


In any case, fantastic work.
harlekin
Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:35 am
The original purpose of the spreadsheet is to help calculate your avoidance after diminishing returns including miss (or at least our best estimate). Miss is not a number that you can get out of the character sheet or armory, but is important in calculating your block cap (and which avoidance stats are best for you).

The spreadsheet is the result of my work determining whether defense is better than dodge (which turned out to be a more complicated answer than I anticipated).

I have been working on expanding the worksheet to allow for gear comparisons including stamina and other non-avoidance stats, but as many people have noticed, it's not working quite right yet. I need to spend some time tweaking the base numbers and possibly some of the formulas. The avoidance numbers should be right at least.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW
harlekin
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 pm
I am confident that the avoidance numbers are correct for paladins. Miss is still an estimate, but it will likely be a long time before we can get numbers that are more accurate.

I should perhaps create two different spreadsheets. One for the portions that are considered bug free, and one development sheet with more features.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW
crabcrouton
Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:06 am
Human Paladin here. My stam is at 1922 (160 + 1762) and 25974 HP.

The spreadsheet puts me at 24,374 HP. The avoidance is pretty solid, thanks!
Twosies
Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 am
10/10. Please sticky
_________________
Twosies, Thaurissan
harlekin
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:19 am
Now that I finally have my Paladin to 80, I'm starting to pay more attention to the results. I have found a few discrepancies that I'm working to fix.

I'm having some trouble deciding how values should be input, so I will solicit some feedback from people who are finding some use out of my spreadsheet.

Would you prefer to enter your character sheet stats or your raw gear stats in the starting stats column? I have to set the spreadsheet up to do some of the math backwards because of built in scaling. (while debugging the hp calculations I realized that the character sheet stam value was already multiplied by the 1.12 scaling factor)

I have the hp calculations giving me much better values (but something's still not quite right) on my unreleased version. Once I have some feedback as to how I should implement the starting data I can work on an updated release.

Also, some of my avoidance numbers weren't matching well. I know quite a few people have said they were spot on, so I'm slightly confused. I'll take a closer look at that tonight.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW
Garath.Gorefiend
Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:36 am
The spreadsheet is interesting, similar to one I use myself, with one exception.

I notice you are including diminishing returns on Miss from Defense.

My question is, where did you get the miss cap rating from (13.756)

It is very low compared to the other caps, and I find it hard to believe that it has been set that low.

So I have trouble believing your calculation on chance to be missed without seeing document evidence or at least references to the documentation showing how the miss cap was determined.
_________________
Garath Lvl 80 Paladin, Gorefiend
harlekin
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:30 am
My source was the testing done by ziggyunderslashone in this thread: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=16711

It was linked in my previous post which was in turn linked in the OP here. Convenient, I know. Smile

The sample size that ziggy collected is statistically significant, but the confidence interval is wider than we'd like. Unfortunately we need an absolutely massive data set to be truly accurate.

That said, the miss numbers should be relatively close, but don't take them as rote.

[edit] With time we may be able to close in on exact numbers by having people test at exactly what amount of stats on their gear a boss will land a hit on them. Miss being the only unknown it can be calculated where the miss DR makes the total less than 102.4. This should actually work on same level mobs, if you use 100% as the total, which makes the data collection much easier. Not the easiest test, but like the testing people have been doing on the hit cap issues, it will give you a straight yes or no.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW
jcamper1337
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:52 am
Ive used ur spread sheet and its show me a total Migation of 51.98
then the next block says + Block and right the number is 102.84

So i might be asking a very retarted question but that means im over the Block cap and can stop worring about block and go for more doge and parry ? or shall i still go for like another point or so in block and all just to make sure that my actually there. My armoury link is in my sig :-p
_________________
jcamper1337
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 pm
roger that im just happy that im soo damn close. I finally ceded my argument with my warrior and DK OT's telling them Idc if they win in the HP war i have more avoidance. Ill probally end up testing it this weekend when we do some 25 man naxx. Work dosent let me do to much. also does Scroling combat text tell me if i block or do i need to dl an add to tell me that
_________________