Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mana Conservation in Heroics

Kelaan
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 pm
I must be at the "poorly enough geared that I take enough damage via SA most of the time". (Recently, my groups have not had replenishment, either.)

My tips (and several of these have been mentioned before):
- Ret aura, not Devo
- Sanctuary, not Kings
- Divine Plea early, as others mentioned.
- Drink any time you see your healer drinking. If they're not drinking, you can likely stress them more by taking more damage (relax Holy Shield priority, for example).
- You seriously can't drink for 4-5 seconds before the next pull? I will do that while I am marking a skull.
- Are there timer based achievements that require you to chain-pull, aside from Stratholme and Pinnacle? (Old Kingdom can skip 2 bosses and give you 20+ spare minutes for its daily.)
- I have a stack of potion injectors and super mana pots ... and use them rarely. When Plea is on cooldown I'll consider using one -- 3200 mana is almost 3/4 of my mana pool. They're probably quite cheap, now.

Conservation tips:
- Consecrate once, if ever, and only if there are more than 3.
- Shield toss, change targets, shield slam, change targets, judge, change targets, hammer. After that, hammer and blocks (along with JoW and such) should be enough to keep you up for the fight.
- Once you have a reasonable threat lead (say, half the mob's health?), you can swap to a different target, which lets you go into relaxation mode earlier in the fight.

I am quite inefficient, and still think little about drinking while we discuss strategy, or while marking a skull/X. If I used Plea earlier in fights (which I forget to do), I'd need to drink less. As it is, I'm more excited contributing to damage. Wink
Kelaan
Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:04 pm
I'd like to add that I don't feel like I'm poorly geared, and generally don't feel like my gear has held me back on ANY fight so far in a heroic. (Anub'Arak excepted, but that's at least partly because I made many mistakes in the fight.) More mitigation will always be welcome, hehe, and I do still blow LoH occasionally ... but again, it's often due to mistakes on my part.

Plea and Sanctuary seem like enough, esp when I judge wisdom. In fact, unless there's lots of expected group damage, I usually am judging wisdom (when I remember). There are a few bosses where I feel like I'm low on mana, but at that point my threat is huge and I am casting Sacred Shield and Holy Shield frequently. I walked into the expansion with like 60 health injectors (used 3?) and 40ish mana injectors (used 4?), and have used probably a dozen super mana pots, so far.
phaqueue
Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 pm
Honestly... run a ton of heroics - haven't really had a mana problem... there are some times when you will... but generally it's fine

seems like all the advice here is good... I run no gear to help with mana... and I dont' run seal/judge wisdom

use sanc, if you are having healers tell you to take more damage.... do it...

remember - the more damage you take the more mana you regen as long as your healer is keeping up...

and the more mobs you will have on you... also - if you have trinkets with use effects (especially things like dodge) that would add to avoidance... use the liberally when you have a few mobs on you and need some mana... more dodges = more sanc procs...
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
Oldtom
Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 pm
I use sanc so I can mindlessly use seals.

If I have dps which has good initial burst (enhancement shamans in praticular). I can use threat seals.

If there are caster mobs I can use seal of wisdom.

If the healer stands in aoe/fails at moving, I can use seal of light.




It is more flexible in my mind not worrying about mana in 5 mans.