Skip to content
Maintankadin

BlockCap or Stamina?

Squishums
Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 am
The whole point of stamina is it keeps you alive no matter how unlucky you are for a string of hits. It defeats the purpose of stacking stamina when doing so leaves the door open for bad luck to screw you over.

If you dont care about mitigation, and you assume you never get stunned/knocked down, being blocked capped is as valuable as having extra health equal to your block value, so for most people ~1000-1500. The value of mitigation is to me more than having an advantage in the rare occasion when youre getting stunned/knocked down, so I would say Id trade 2000 health for being block capped.
Mogurii
Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 am
I completely agree with the consideration of item lvl as a requisite for gear choices. However, you're talking about stamina as a back up if you take an unlucky string of hits all unavoided. My initial post is clearly talking about the Block Cap, where as you will never take a string of unlucky hits. Every single melee attack made against you WILL be mitigated. So this is irrelevant I think.

We're straying a bit off topic so let me bring us back a bit again:

Time-to-death, which is what I'm most interested in in this conversation is the amount of damage you can take before you die if you were never healed. Lets say for simplicity sake you have 2000 block value. If the mob hits every 2 seconds for 4000 damage and you have 25k health, it would take 250000/4000 = 6.25 hits * 2 seconds = 12.5 to death seconds

If you increase your health pool by 2000 now you have 27000hp/4000 = 6.75 hits * 2 seconds = 13.5 seconds to death

However, if you were block capped to convert that 2000 health to 2000 block value (as suggested by some of the posters), now you have 25000hp/(4000 - 2000) = 25000/2000 = 12.5 hits = 25 seconds till death occurs.

I'd like some more people to go this route, I'm sure that some of my assumptions are wrong and that this could be incorrect, but I wanted people to see what I'm really talking about here. Please feel free to critique and contribute something else.
Spamdrew
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 pm
oldboyz you misunderstood my post as I was arguing from the opposite direction. If I understand this graph correctly parry becomes better point for point than dodge (given at least enough defence to be uncritable) after you have stacked 600+ dodge rating and as your defence goes up the amount of dodge you can stack before parry becomes better further increases.

Anyway this is not on topic sorry Mogurii.

As for your point the problem with taking about the usefulness of blocking as mitigation is that its usefulness entirely depends on how hard the boss hits and how much magic damage he does. Paladins more than most tanks are going to need to develop different tanking sets depending on the boss you are tanking.
_________________
Mogurii
Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:43 pm
We're still trailing a bit in regards to the OP. Expertise has already been agreed upon to be a bad stat to seek. Our Seal of Vengeance glyph almost caps us, so it's not really needed.

What I really want to get out of this discussion is, is it better to stack stamina after the defense cap is reached, or to go all the way to 102.4% for Block Cap?

I've done some math as far as time-to-live is concerned, and Block Cap increases this equation.

I think that it's safe to assume, as some posters have, that paladins are going to need two specific gear sets. One for Caster Bosses (Stamina Set) and one for Melee Bosses (Block Cap Set). This will increase time-to-live for each individual case.

What does everyone think about this assumption?
Marium
Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:18 pm
I'm somewhat confused by this thread. Block capped is 102.4% with holy shield up I know but the posts about figuring out miss, is it not still a 5% base chance to be missed?

Unbuffed I'm sitting at 105% with holy shield and with full buffs I'm hovering a little over 110%. I also have 30k unbuffed HP as the only non pure stam gem is the 8 dodge/12 stam gem for my meta.

As far as expertise and hit go, I've never been a huge fan but we definitely get more than enough on gear that gemming for it is pointless imo though my warrior counterparts tend to be doing just that.
_________________
Mogurii
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:11 pm
Boss level mobs do still have the 5% base chance to miss you, so you need to figure that into your equation when you're calculating your avoidance. Some of the old macros aren't working as far as calculating total avoidance because of the DR dodge has now, but it has generally been agreed upon that dodge diminishing returns don't really impact total avoidance at a significant level until around 300 dodge rating.

I think the culmination in the discussion regarding Block Cap or Stamina has concluded with my previous post about having two distinct gear sets. We'll need one set to be 100% Block Capped for melee mobs, as the increase in time-to-live vastly increases when all attacks are mitigated. Another set for stamina, as time-to-live will increase with direct correlation to stamina when facing a boss with a high amount of spell damage.

What are our thoughts on this assumption?

EDIT: I'd like to stay away from talk about Hit and Expertise, as this is not related to the OP. There are plenty of posts on those topics on the Advanced Training boards. Please feel free to reference those posts if that is your prerogative.
Mogurii
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:16 pm
I'd also like to point out that when you are considering a Block Cap set of armor that you'd like to keep Block Value as high as humanly (or elvenly or Dwarfenly...etc) possible. Block Value is going to directly impact your time-to-live if you are at 102.4% Block Cap. The more block value you have, the longer you live. This is increased if you have a boss that hits more often but for less, Block Cap is going to vastly outweigh any superior stamina you may have if you choose to not gear for Block Cap.

Thoughts?