Skip to content
Maintankadin

Analysis of Improved Devo Aura versus Shield Spec

Frickit
Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:19 am
Thanks Jere, Im gonna have to think about this all day lol. I think the high armor will make me easy to heal in hyjal trash just in my gut.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:30 am
well one thing you can do is just take the equation for damage reduction and see how it goes:

jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:41 am
One thing I forgot to mention in that was run the same caculations, but with a higher block value than what you are targetting (you said you would be going on the low side on block value).

This will give you an idea of how much more quickly BV scales.
_________________
jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:11 am
Fricket, I just did some quick math for you.

If you don't even look at block value or SS, taking IDA nets you 14 less damage than not having it at 19000 AC taking unmitigated hits of 3500.

Lets just say 15 less dmg for easier math.

Shield spec provides 30% more BV. In order for SS to match IDA, you need to have 15/.3 = 50 BV before SS.

Lets look at some other block values and what you get from SS:

100 => 30 extra BV
150 => 45 extra BV
200 => 60 extra BV
250 => 75 extra BV
300 => 90 extra BV
400 => 120 extra BV
500 => 150 extra BV

100 BV has double the effect of taking IDA
200 BV has quadruple the effect of taking IDA
300 BV has 6x the effect of taking IDA

You can see how quickly it scales.

Consequently, if you were at 20k AC instead of 19k, then IDA would provided less "extra" (13.125'ish less damage rather than 14).

Just some food for thought.
_________________
jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:47 am
Another way to look at it:

Given a specific amount of unmitigated damage, how much block value must you have (untalented) to get the same benefit out of SS as you do taking IDA instead. Having this amount of block value (untalented), or more, makes SS pull ahead. Having less makes IDA pull ahead.

NOTE: Unmitigated damage is before AC, RF, and block

Frickit
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:37 am
wow IDA is for holy pallys huh. Im making mine get it lawl. I want those 3 points but I guess Ill make do without reckoning yet again. I really dont see myself getting rid of (6%?) mitigated spell damage or kings just yet.

stupid ? but is the 10% bv from the meta gem affected by the 30% from SS?
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
Dorvan
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:44 am
From what I've heard from others (haven't tested it personally), they're additive, for a total 40% boost to your base BV, not 43%
_________________
jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 pm
I see 3 options for holy paladins:

1. PvP: they aren't going to bother with Devo anyways, so not spec'ing it probably.

2. PvE Holy/Prot hybrid: If they are spec'ing to be able to AoE tank as needed, then they will probably spec into redoubt and SS anyways as those talents would be better for low damage / multi-mob situations (AoE / trash / etc.).

3. Pure holy: The ones that go deep enough into prot to get BoK and Gaurdian's Favor and stop. These will probably be the only ones spec'ing IDA

There might be some more options, but these are the ones that came to mind.

So even some PvE spec'ed holy paladins would probably skip IDA.
_________________
jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:12 pm
I am actually pretty hesitant to toss out numbers or percentages. I would wager it varies from guild to guild and perhaps server to server. I know on the few servers I have played on, IDA wasn't very common amongst holy paladins. If I had to guess, I would guess over half of the holy pallies spec IDA, but again, that is only a guess and not based on any data.

I am sure there is a site out there that has done some data mining though, so maybe the data is available somewhere to parse and see. It might indeed be close to 9/10, or it might be less. Who knows for sure?
_________________
Nottebella
Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:32 pm
All of the "cookie cutter" holy specs that I have seen (including both of the ones on the EJ thread) have IDA in them. So that's probably where the 90% perception comes from. Of course, I've been in raids with four holy paladins, all with IDA, and none of them were in the tank group; I'd say that's the bigger restrictor.

Edited for relevance.
_________________
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn