Skip to content
Maintankadin

On the Effectiveness of Various Threat Stats for Tankadins

Holylance
Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 am
I was wondering if u will do more TPS if you have hit capped and expertised capped and still have 420 spell damage unbuffed?
This is for single target threat not AoE.
Holylance
Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:39 am
What I meant was does it do more then 549 spell damage unbuffed. with 0 hit/expertised.
Sorry was kinda tired so thats why my sentences didnt sound right.
kalbear
Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:58 am
Most likely not. It really depends on the fight, but the short answer is that 120 spelldamage is probably going to be worth more for threat than 96 expertise and 140 hit.
Daeren
Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:55 pm
I disagree with Dorvans numbers, they seem kinda high in comparison to mine. With my castsequence macro that I only use for Illidan, my numbers is somewhat like:

Consecration (Holy) 105199,2 31,66 %
Holy Shield (Holy) 70073,9 21,09 %
JoR (Holy) 60762 18,29 %
Swing (Physical) 28789 8,66 %
SoR(Holy) 48970,6 14,74 %
Avenger's Shield (Holy) 7113,6 2,14 %
Vengeance (Holy) 6507,5 1,96 %
Fire Shield (Fire) 1 796 0,54 %
Hammer of Wrath (Holy) 3059 0,92 %
332270,8 100,00 %

This is excluding exorcism. The sad part is that SoR doesn't have 100% uptime, but pretty close (HS > Judgement > Cons > SoR)- I'm wearing my EH gear where I don't wear my T6 pants, gauntlets, or helm.Although SoR doesn't have 100% uptime, I'm usually using SoV for steady bosses though.

My total of expertise counted threat is 25,4%.
My current hit rate is 100% - 15.6 % = 84,4%. Increase from 1 expertise skill is 0,005 / 0,844 = 0,59% in swing dependent threat. That means 1 expertise rating is 0,152% increase in swing dependent threat for me. One rating increases my threat by 0,039%.

If 1 spell damage = 1 TPS, then 1 combat rating = 1 / 0,855 = 1,17 TPS.

For one expertise rating to be 1,17 TPS, we need 1,17 TPS / 0,00039 = 3000 TPS (round number is a coincident).

If my calculations are really off, please correct me. Even with dorvans amount of threat from swing dependent move, I'd get 2146 TPS for expertise to be same value as spell damage.
_________________

Daeren
Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 pm
Anyhow, I'll do a quick explanation on stats:

Expertise skill swing increase (ESSI) = percentage point increase (0,5%) / existing hit rate (HR)
Expertise rating skill increase (ERSI) = ESSI / 3,94 (expertise rating to skill ratio)
Expertise rating increase in threat (EXI) = ERSI * swing dependent threat (SDT, insert yourself)
Spell damage cost in rating (SPC) = 1 / 0,855 = 1,17
Spell damage increase in threat (SPINC) = Insert number crunching
Spell damage increase in threat in rating (SPINCR) = SPINC * SPC

At what point is expertise equal to spell damage = SPINCR / EXI
SPINCR / EXI = SPINC (first constant) * SPC (1,17) / EXI
SPINC / EXI = 1,17 SPINC / (ERSI * SDT) = 1,17SPINC / ((ESSI / 3,94) SDT) = 1,17SPINC / (((0,005 / HR)/3,94)*SDT

There, 3 variables to insert.

With Dorvans numbers:
1,17SPINC / (((0,005 / 0,73)/3,94)*0,355 = 1896SPINC
If Dorvan's number was 825 TPS, then we'd only recieve 0,44 TPS per point of spell damage, which is pretty silly.
Also, for the sake of it, EXI (which in Dorvan's case is calculated to 0,061%, is in my case 0,0617% increase. So it's pretty accurate, but come on, 73% hit rate? that's pretty lowish.

Now, if anything is wrong here, please let me know.
_________________

Daeren
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 am
So, what makes mine and Dorvan's numbers so different?

1) SDT (swing dependent threat): He has 35,5% while I have 25,4%

2) HR (hit rate): He has 73%, I have 84,4%

3) SPINC: He has 0,44 TPS per spell damage, I use the general 1:1.

So for me, expertise is worse than spell damage until i hit 3000 TPS, which I honestly don't see coming anytime soon. And remember, that's 3000 TPS of your own TPS, not included misdirects, spiritual attunement and selfheals (lifebloom f.ex.)
_________________

Dorvan
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 am
Where are you getting the 1 +dam = 1 tps number from?
_________________
Daeren
Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 am
Even with my new spell damage conversion, the cutoff point is at 2187 PERSONAL tps from my Illidan WWS, which makes expertise not even close to spell damage in cost efficiency.
_________________