Skip to content
Maintankadin

Seal of Blood "Tanking" - maths errors?

Fernrir
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 pm
how am I giving up a GCD when everything is on the proper CD and I twist to pop a different seal? Last time I checked...there isn't any loss of a GCD there. By the time the GCD comes around from the twist, it's time for holy shield and I rotated through my 696 rotation twice and have the same line up to twist back to SoV to keep up the stacks. Maybe my rotation is off but I don't have a single issue and there hasn't been a single person in my guild to come close to worrying about their agro.
_________________
Áthena - Level 80 Protection Paladin
Majiben
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 pm
Then you are obviously confused on what a 96969 rotation is.
_________________
Knaughty
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 pm
Changing seals costs a GCD and does zero TPS that GCD, instead of a TPS move.

You continue through 969, you get SoR TPS on auto/HoTR/Judge

You change seals again, and again do zero TPS than GCD, but refresh SoV stack.

The DoT lasts 10 GCDs, but you'd have to refresh at 8-9.

So you're losing 2 GCDs every 9 GCDs, in exchange for SoR uptime of about 75%.

This is a net TPS loss.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Candiru
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 pm
Unless there is a bloodlust / vulnerability mechanic / etc where damage NOW is > damage later (eg curator)
Candiru
Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:02 am
Curator would do it, just have a 5stack of vengeance before evocation, then switch in SoR just before giving you 15s of SoV+SoR.

If the vulnerability is ~ 15s then its perfect, if its longer then you will start to loose some SoV ticks after it falls off.

Or, you can twist seals with taunt-switching for massive threat. I did this with a druid on VoA for fun, where I would get 5stack vengeance, seal blood, consecrate, judge, hit taunt and ShoR, HoTR, he taunts and mangles while I re-seal SoV etc. You can get crazy threat that way.
Knaughty
Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:59 am
Imaginary fight is Imaginary.

There's no content in wrath with 15 sec vulnerability phase.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Candiru
Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:58 am
Well, on Gluth, for example, you are taunt switching pretty often.

If you get a 5-stack up, seal blood then taunt you will be increasing threat faster than if you hadn't sealed up blood.

Then you will be taunted off after ~20s, but 15s of SoV+20s of SoB > 20s of SoV.

Then when the other tank is tanking you get your 5 stack back up.

It will cost you DPS, but you gain TPS.

Its probably not worth it on GLuth yet, but if DPS keeps improving tactics like this might be important in Ulduar.
Candiru
Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 am
Well I'm not saying its a good idea now, but it COULD be a good idea in Ulduar.

Important to know what little tricks can be done to boost TPS at the cost of others things if needed ahead of time, imho.
Candiru
Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:40 am
Given blizzard's track record with recycling old fights in new content, Curator 3.0 is quite likely tbh!