Skip to content
Maintankadin

Thoughts on OTing??

NarfJones
Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:30 am
In a situation where there is no reactive threat, i.e. when I first starting off tanking moroes back in all blues and a few greens, I would judge wisdom, pop wings, SoR, and rank 4 cons. As it was moroes I could cast Exorcise but even without that the #1 rule is still #1.

Rule #1: Tell Your DPS Not to pass you in threat.
_________________

http://theorycraftingforlosers.wordpress.com/
Aleriya
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 am
Lots of mana potions. They don't call us Pot Paladins for nothing.

Also on Gruul, before growth 5 or so you'll probably run oom even with Hurtful Strikes. So, go find some falling rocks to stand under for a bit. The healers are bored anyway (btw Prot warriors use this same tactic for OT threat).
_________________
Aarek
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:19 am
The ZA fight mentioned above is probably Bear boss, which is tauntable and has to be traded between two tanks because of a debuff, no need to worry about the threat switch because he is tauntable back and forth.

In Karazhan for Moroes and Curator (I bolt soak because I have 405 AR) I just go to town judging when its up and spamming consecrate when I have the mana, Moroes I blow wings on the pull and Curator I blow wings at first Evocation. Moroes you can also spam exorcism on, with decent +spell damage and the gap between you and the rest of the dps on him you should have a fair lead to hold you up.
_________________

Minn
Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:32 pm
The odds are stacked against you as a paladin OT. Without taking damage, we have to live on a very paltry mana income. That said, there are a few things you can do to boost your threat in such a situation.

Get BoW if you don't normally use it. If you're the only Paladin, use BoW. Keeping ahead of the dps will be harder than staying alive for most fights.

I support JoW, SoV, JoV (repeated). An additional JoCrusader is good if there's another Paladin available. Depending on positioning for OTing, you may be able to get a flank or the back to avoid parries altogether. More hits, and less interrupts like knockdown or stuns mean it is easier to keep a stack of SoV running. Consider building your stack while trinketed, as long as the stack stays up, you'll get the benefit of that initial spell damage figure.

Try to get thrown in with a Shadowpriest. A Shaman helps a lot too, for their spell damage, mana tide or windfury totems. Take a look at mp5 consumables like Flask of Mighty Restoration and Blackened Sporefish. You'll end up lower on tanking stats, but your sustained threat generation will be higher. Use a potion every time the cooldown is up, and use max rank consecrate whenever you use AW.
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Minn
Andox
Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 am
Well, on Moroes if I OT I try to tank 1 or 2 adds to get some damage done to me, or, I use my spelldamage set. I have 490 def in that and like 85% avoidence, but its enough, /care if I get 1 CB when OTing a fight that we are overgeared for anyways.
_________________
Igrado
Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:03 am
I had thought that rank 3 (consecrate) was where the coefficients started applying, before that it was ~0% of SD bonus applied...