Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dropping Redoubt/Shield Spec for Imp. Devo

reyia
Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:43 am
i for one, would do redoubt ->SS even if they did unlink it.

I think people discount how good redoubt can be because they get tunnelvisioned into the 1 mob 1 tank scenario. One of the huge strengths of paladins is the ability to hold multiple targets and many of our talents are geared toward helping us survive that onslaught.

Redoubt
Shield Spec
Blessing of Sanct
Ardent Defender
Reckoning (+ SoL/JoL in a situation when most of your TPS is from consecrate spam actually accounts for a suprising amount of damage mitigation)
Holyshield


A previous thread, though differently titled shows some simulations based based on a large number of attacks incoming.

These are the numbers from my gear, against 5 attacks per seconds, each for 1000.
EDIT: Found a logic error in the code that resulted in extra redoubt procs. Fixed numbers now:

==================
assumptions
==================
Avoidance= 49.29
Block Rating= 19.46
Block Value= 400

Hit Size= 1000
Number of hits/s= 5
Time frame (s)= 360000
===================
a= 887184
hs= 170367
both= 117633
rts= 255595
reg= 142150
h= 227071
===================
a%= 49.288
hs%= 9.46483333333333
both%= 6.53516666666667
rts%= 14.1997222222222
reg%= 7.89722222222222
h= 12.6150555555556
Incoming DPS= 1773.66111111111

A = avoidance
HS = Holy shield blocks
both = when both holy shield is up and redoubt is up, burning a charge from each
Rt = RedoubT.
reg = regular block
hit= straight hit

Redoubt is responsible for 5.68% of damage mitigation in this case.
_________________
kalbear
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:07 pm
Reyja, I don't think that works the way you think it works. If you're at max avoidance, you don't get any benefit from any more block rating. The hit table goes dodge/parry/block; at that point, you can have 50% block or 5000% block, and it'll be the same as long as you're maxed out.

In your example redoubt is only valuable when HS is not up. It is otherwise useless.

ETA: sorry, I didn't see that you had 5 hits per second as your simulator. That's...pretty crazy numbers. I guess redoubt would rock when you're doing something like aggroing all of strat or SM Cath or the like.
reyia
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 am
@Fridmarr
*shrug*
I think that you'd miss redoubt pretty fast. My gear and your gear are very similar. In my BV set, I can get to 523 BV without using Autoblocker. For the sake of argument, I'll use the set that I have that is very similar to your set:

EDIT: DOH. Found another error in logic that accounted for more Redoubt procs than before. At some point in time I need to go back and edit the previous code posts. Blarg. The numbers should be right now.


==================
Avoidance= 50.04
Block Rating= 21.49
Block Value= 358

Hit Size= 1500
Number of hits/s= 2
Time frame (s)= 360000
===================

Sample situations:

Fridmarr
Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm
I use the tanking simulator that has been posted here, it seems to be pretty accurate. I'm 100% certain I would not miss redoubt at all. I've done WWS parses of my own encounters for stuff like Morogrim, Alar (his adds), Solarian, and a few other situations, and in those models I assume (because I can't prove it either way) that redoubt has 100% uptime, and I can still only attribute about 6-7% of my blocks to redoubt. On the simulator, I have to crank it up to getting hit 100 times in 10 seconds, to get a 10% increase in blocks. And again, it would be nearly impossible for these adds to kill me, the difficulty is picking them up, not living through the damage.

Any reduction in DPS is nothing to sneeze at, it's just a matter of me being forced to take the talent or really that there is nothing better. As I've mentioned, imp devo isn't all that good either so really for me it's the lesser of two evils, which is really only redoubt because I want shield spec.

If I did zero AoE tanking, redoubt would be the worst talent I have (which is saying something when I have blessing of sanctuary) and almost completely useless. The odds of redoubt filling that latency gap is incredibly small, and not really even worth mentioning imo. I have far better odds of simply not being crushed than redoubt being up in that situation.
_________________
Worldie
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 pm
Sometime, that "1 charge" between 2 holy shields can save your life.
_________________