Skip to content
Maintankadin

How to double pull like a pro.

Arrthus
Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 am
With guild groups and pugs I always inquire as to the healer's bonus to healing and mana regen with the stated purpose of setting the pace.

If they are over 2K bonus healing I will not stop pulling till a boss. double and triple pulls or more if bubblewall is ready while I JC dodge trinket, stun, and aoe silence (if applicable to the pull) right afterwards.

I also multipull at the healers request in naxx 10 to make it go faster.
_________________
Venoseth
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 am
If you have the CD and want to test/put your party through the paces, tell them. If you get objections, don't. It's not worth alienating anyone from the group dynamic.

Also, for double-pulling mobs that don't like to group up, use your CCs to invalidate the casters/whatever and round up a ton of the melees for easy fights/fun with your party. ^^

TL;DR - Sure, do it, but be smart about it.
_________________
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Mex
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 pm
I always chain pull, occasionally stopping if the healer's mana drops below 20%. I'll generally grab pats as soon as I see them, regardless of whether they bring another group or not. I have been known to double pull, but it's not common. Generally only when there's a real advantage (ie aoe stacked group). The times when I do are ...

Nexus -- I often double pull the wraiths / dragonkin, and the iceblocked mobs. Very rarely pull double pull stewards/mage hunters due to their silences.

Oculus -- Stuff is too spread out / hard to group up.

UK -- The first two packs (not first 2 mobs on the stairs) can be a very dangerous double pull. 8-9 mobs which not only disarm, but stun. A stun here is an insta-gib if your healer's not expecting it. I often double pull the undead mobs, and the packs later on (tacticians / seers / etc).

UP -- I tank groups singly here, pulling pats when they get into range. On Skadi, I freedom myself, run straight to the end spamming seal, then consecrate + holy wrath.

Azjol -- Did a quad-pull here doing the Watch Him Die achievement. I also often pull multiple packs before Hadronox.

Old Kingdom -- I avoid double pulling spell flingers (17k shadowbolts ><), otherwise I'll grab everything in range generally. If DPS is bad at moving out of flamestrikes, I'll limit myself to one worshipper per pull.

Drak -- I'll generally pull the abom + ghouls room in a single go. Same with spider room. Only things I avoid here are the purple trolls at the end (name escapes me) which do fear + aoe silence. Will try to get them solo or in pairs.

Gundrak -- Generally I just pull everything in range. Trash here is a joke. The purple water eles are the only possible exception.

HoL -- Early trash is too spread out. Magma gauntlet death explosions make more than half the room unviable. I often pull 2 packs of statues at once, and the crazy lightning dudes before third boss all at once. The packs of 3 dwarves or 2 dwarves / tall-guy I always single pull, due to sleep on healer + spear + flurry being a horrible combination.

HoS -- Pull 3-6 dwarves at once, 2-4 golems at once, the entire collection of those little shard things at once, etc. Double pulls are great here.

Most of my double pulling I do in Naxx though tbh. Spider wing is 90% double pulls, only exceptions being pre-Maex trash, where groups are highly spread out (although lots of pats to compensate for this).

Abom wing is always 6-8 aboms at once, or pack of scientists + 4 aboms, etc etc. Take the first four giants in Grob's room at once, then the 3 at the back. Pre-Thaddius giants + shades + geists as they come into range. Just pull em into the consecrate and let AoE do their thing.

Plague wing you gotta be careful with gargoyles. 2-3 at once at the most, and let the debuff wear off afterwards. After that, the old pre-heigan gauntlet is great for double or triple pulls.

DK wing is hands down my favourite though. I often pull two packs of 3 DKs + patting skellies / captains etc. Or 6 cavaliers at once (needs lots of MD spam for silence/boneshield though). Then the weapons room, make sure I have 3+ weapons beating on me at all times. Then more double pulls of DKs pre-4h. 10 DKs + 2 cavaliers was my record I think. Just be careful with the necro knights and their aoe. Holy wrath is godly here.

Basically if I'm fighting mobs, and I can pull something else with exorcism or avenger's shield, I do. But I rarely run into judgement / melee range to do it.
Kracus
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:35 pm
I usually just chain pull. One mob left that is low, I either stun and run or just run and AS. Until healer is low and mages fall behind on dps. Then I stop until everyone is ready and repeat. Only in instances/pulls I know I'll be fine. Stuns, mass spell damage or spell lock (stupid nexus) I avoid doing too much.
_________________

Your mom is a 6 pull.
phaqueue
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:16 am
I tend to chain pull instances... I will warn the healer beforehand...

If I have a guild healer with me... they are going to be pushed a little more...cause I know they can handle it...

I have a couple of healers who tell me... "use ret aura... I don't want/need the healing from Devo" these are the ones I will push even more... with 2 and 3 groups at once...

honestly - I know how much I can hold aggro on - and I have a good idea of which mobs hit too hard to be effectively tanked like this... anything else is fair game...

your biggest problem here will be casters... not because of getting aggro... but because of the lack of mitigation...

I can't wait for the new ranged pull because it will make this chain pulling easier... pull group - wait for mob or 2 to die... pull next group with AS, pull next group with taunt, and so on...
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
aka
Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 am
I often do double pulls. really often.

when I'm sure that there's no casters or f****** fear/stun/boring mechanics, i often triple, quadriple or more pull x).

My prefered one is trees/dryads in the nexus, you can pull up to 4 or 5 packs and still never drop under 50% x)
_________________
Akadurgrim (Ysondre EU) <Wild>
Tankadin/healadin/retadin
antiy4ho0
Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:08 am
As has been said before by others... I love to pull as much as possible. I usually have a resto shaman healbot thats very good. With that said, some places its just a bit too dangerous to do. Some nasty casters like the spell flingers in AK, or mobs that stun or something else that can result in burst damage. So I pull double/multi in places where I won't die. Just because theres one caster in the group doesn't mean I can't pull another group, it just means that I need to use a CD/Armor Pot/Mark a skull and X on the nasty casters.
_________________
Neroth
Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:13 am
My guild and healers have figured out that its usually a bad sign if they see the "Jenkins" title pop up over my name Twisted Evil .

It's also never a good idea to make flipant remarks like: "Bet you can't pull the whole room". Thats usually when you see the hunter start backing up to get out of range for a feign death.
skrith2
Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 am
The entire instance is 1 pull as far as I'm concerned.

Depends on how my healer feels about it. Don't really care what the DPS think, if they're not screaming their heads off we're not moving fast enough.

Our favorite thing to do is find some random level 80 DPS thats pugging and take them on the roller-coaster ride.
_________________
Adryl
Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:44 pm
Wait there is single pulling????? Oh sorry I'm so used to Ami double pulling I got lost for a second.
_________________