Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Math] Paladin threat generation

Percival
Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:26 am
I don't have any empirical information to contribute, unfortunately. Although this is still a work in progress, I'm curious as to how this data dovetails into what we already know about endgame paladin tanking.

My guild is at the end of T5 gearing, just snagging some T6. It feels, more or less, like I'm making the same threat as I was 2-3 months ago despite having geared up, while the rest of the raid and the warrior tanks in particular are making more threat. Poor coefficients ftl, it seems.

At 470 spell dmg unbuffed, my threat is still adequate in most situations. I MT'd Supremus recently, and held 900-1000 TPS during the tank'n spank phases.

I suppose I'm curious as to what happens when, without exorcism, our threat just can't match prot warriors. Is this something that can be equalized with gearing/skill, or are we just going to have to wait for Blizzard to alter our mechanics if we're ever going to level the playing field (as far as single target threat goes)?
Tripedius
Fri May 16, 2008 12:50 am
Since im eager to learn all tankadin secrets I was wondering which glove enchant is better, + 20 SD or + 2% threat. I do not have any insight in the workings of the threat mechanism, I just know paladins gain threat from holy damage. More holy damage is more threat. I can imagine however that at some point + 20 SD doesn’t make much of an impact on my ever growing spell damage.

I assume that +2% threat needs to exceed the bonus from + 20 SD, so that + 20SD < +2% threat. This would mean you need at least + 1000 SD (1000 x 0,02 = 20). However spell damage doesn’t fully apply to all our spells. Can someone explain this to mean and give their opinio on which is better?
Lowgrus
Fri May 16, 2008 4:07 am
I've never really had to much of an issue with threat, but did recently change my gear around quite a bit. I had like 17.5 k hp unbuffed, but was like you know with ho wthe dps keep son improving my threat is going to need to be better and 16k hp seems to be more than enough unbuffed.

So now I run with like 445 spell damage. Also another thing to take account in when doing threat is my one love. SHADOWPRIEST. 5 percent more spell damage FTW.

Also when in 5 mans/10 mans resto shamans in my group for the win Razz.

I pull about 1200 TPS give or take 200. I dont know I want a little bit more to be more consistent though. I'm working on getting eye of mag/hex shrunken head. The TK trinket sux.

I so very seldomly use blessing of sanctuary. Wish I could use it more.
Infernosaint
Sun May 18, 2008 11:20 pm
Im running with 403 SD unbuffed, and i just got out of kara.. if you want to sustain some threat my guess is to start getting tier pieces with some decent avoidance as well, 2,4 legs, crafted palatank stuff, and just get eveything you can into the raid.

i had 520 i think, on lurker last night.. i cant post TPS numbers as i offtanked adds, and were running seal of light, as mine wasnt the first kill.
_________________



Never try to understand me. You will die...
Zappi
Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 am
Arcand, Judgement of Righteousness is increased by 73% of your spelldamage, not 50%
Arcand
Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:30 pm
Time for an update, I think - things have happened since the OP.

I'll get an update done over the summer break, so we have something to work off of when our AWESOME AND THOUGHTFULLY-DESIGNED TALENTS AND GEAR from WotLK start getting unveiled. Confused
_________________
In my day, we didn't have gear. Or tanking talents. Or - actually, you don't want to hear this story.
Whitewolf
Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:36 pm
All these conversions melted my brain.
Sad