Skip to content
Maintankadin

Power Word Shield Bad For Paladins?! Explain Please!!

Awoeryn
Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Power Word Shield Bad For Paladins?! Explain Please!!

I remember reading this months ago, but why is it exactly bad for us? I never understood why.
_________________
BigBlueCheese
Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 pm
No damage taken, no heals received, no mana returned, potential threat problem.
_________________

ldeboer
Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I think its a myth or trivial

Have priests and shaman shield me regularly and never had a problem.

Generally they will only shield me on big or hard hitting mobs before I pull to ease there healing load at start so they dont drag heal agro. For a priest healer its generally binding heal, shield then I pull this generates very little agro to them.

A typical example is the 2 bog lords in H-UB I can only get 1 with my AS until the 2nd is cleanly in consecrate the healer cant really heal it means I can suck a few of blows from 1 lord before needing a heal.

I dont get the whole mana thing why would a healer bother to shield you on a small pull where you arent going to take much damage?

I will make one comment they have to shield you before you pull or much later in the fight they cant do it just after you pull because it does seem to generate a pile of heal agro which if you dont have a good lead means they go for your healer.
_________________

Janduin
Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 am
Shields are great, especially on a pull when people (read: healers) are still getting into position.

No mana back at the beginning of a pull isn't a problem. You are a paladin, you start at full "rage." It's more of an issue for a warrior, as it can slow down their rage buildup and thus their threat generation.
_________________
Oriax
Tue May 06, 2008 1:48 am
As I remember reading it also prevents our dmg-reactive skills from reflecting dmg to the mob, HS, BoSanc, Ret Aura since it's the shield that's being hit by the mob, not you. Which would mean less threat during the duration of the PW:S.
May be I remember this wrong, but that's what I've been thinking and said I rather avoid getting one at all. Unless I get shitloads of dmg where a shield would actually help ease of dmg/death for a few secs to get a proper heal.
_________________
Ulushnar
Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 am
Shields are good for the opening moments of pulls and to give the healers an extra few secs to recover from a nasty spike. As long as your priests aren't spamming PW:S on you, it's all good.
_________________
Blog


Do you use your powers for Good, or for Awesome?
Lore
Tue May 06, 2008 6:01 am
If you're getting spammed with PW:S it's because your priest is bad. It's horribly inefficient even compared to Prayer of Mending, which is also instant.

PW:S is for two specific scenarios: preemptively shaving a bit of damage off of something you know is about to happen (such as the robots before Illidari Council who have an ability that hits someone for an amount of damage equal to their health pool), or saving someone who is going to die if they get hit again just long enough for someone else to land a heal.
_________________
Station wagons are my favorite things.
Awoeryn
Tue May 06, 2008 6:50 am
Okay thanks guys! That explains a lot. This website has always been very helpful Smile
_________________
Cosmoz
Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 pm
did run a normal 5-man some time back, cuz 2 guys in our guild wanted me to tag along, and we had a ranodm priest with us that decided to PW:shield and HOT was the wai to keep me up....after 5th time i explained to him to NOT use PWS on me he finaly, well, not udderstod why, but at least he dident shield me anymore. a LOT of people dont understand how tankadins work.
_________________
arilink
Sat May 10, 2008 7:28 pm
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but Prayer of Mending was mentioned earlier.
Well it might be a very insignificant detail but does it return mana on heal?
It's healing threat is already added to your threat.
And does your Righteous Fury affect PoM since it's a "Holy" spell?

I just got too much time wondering about stuff while hanging out in this kickass forum Razz
And btw we need an epic Libram of Eternal Rest!
Janduin
Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 pm
@arilink: Yes, and yes.
_________________