I want to start off by letting you in on my situation. I create this thread with trembling hands, a shaken mind and a few fist marks on my desk. I've spent the last 4 hours, and a few minutes, attempting to solo Yogg-Saron. That's about 30 attempts.
Unfortunately, I'm not the best motivator through writing, but I hope to stir up some interest on this subject. Though I am quite the enthusiast when it comes to taking on content alone, I do admit that I was indeed inspired by that interesting video of the Death Knight soloing Yogg-Saron. I'll explain why I think it's "interesting" in a moment.
I very much believe that we Paladin have the capability to solo Yogg-Saron right now, even in average gear - even as Ret. I'd like to point out a few things that I learned during my heart shattering time attempting to solo Yogg-Saron.
Phase 1: This phase has turned out to be the easiest, by far, of phases 1 and 2. My tactic as Prot has become very defined, even perfected.
To start, I don't worry too much about healing up after the run back - I just buff up and charge in. It starts slowly, waiting for the first add to spawn, but it gets going pretty well towards the end. Speaking of the end, my entire goal during Phase 1 is to kill the adds as quickly as possible, ensuring I have 1 or less adds up during the Phase 1-2 transition, I have no more than 10-15% health, and have no Forbearance. The reason for this brings me into Phase 2.
Phase 2: Phase 2 will be all about being sure you make the Brain Portals. This can be a little tricky - because of the Constrictor Tentacles; the first spawns, and grabs you, immediately as Yogg-Saron appears. If you watch the DK solo video, you'll notice he/she puts down D&D in anticipation of the tentacle. This tactic will not work for us Paladins - a perfectly timed Consecration(2/2 Hallowed Ground) will only take down exactly 50% of the tentacle's health. My solution, therefore, is to die, and allow Hodir to save me with Flash Freeze. Why don't I bubble? Well, that leads me back to my Phase 1 strategy, and why I think the DK solo video to be "interesting."
So, I'm coming out of Phase 1 into Phase 2, with around 10% HP (and 3 Holy Power in store is great). Why is this? I want the Constrictor Tentacle to kill me as quickly as possible; and the reason for that? You lose Sanity while squeezed, so the less time you're squeezed - the better (Yeah, Freya is up, but it's very difficult to run into those, and still make the Brain Portals). So then, "WHY DON'T YOU BUBBLE LEUTHAS?" Well, that's easy.
Before the Brain Portals spawn, I get TWO Constrictor Tentacles. So I bubble the second one, which occurs within seconds of the Brain Portals. This is where I almost start to believe the DK solo video isn't real... almost. If you watch the video, the DK only sees ONE Constrictor Tentacle; while I, in my 30+/- attempts, never saw fewer than TWO, and twice saw THREE.
I do not see any patterns that may affect the Tentacles' spawn patterns. As Ret, I can make Phase 1 and the beginning of Phase 2 happen much faster than the DK, and as Prot I do so a little slower. Under both circumstances however, the spawns of the Tentacles are identical - I always get two.
In general, I seem to be able to make greater progress as Ret than as Prot, though the majority of my attempts were as Ret. I've been able to make it out of the first Brain Portal Phase, but unfortunately due to various slows and other debuffs I had on me when I ported in, I was only able to DPS the brain to about 70% in 20 seconds. Admittedly - I am a little slow in the Brain (I'm a tank - tanks didn't usually go in there
There is one last thing I'd like to mention - it seems to be a strange mechanic I am running into: From what I can observe through the combat log and my situation when this occurs, it appears, if you click a portal a split second before a Constrictor Tentacle grabs you, you'll die. Looking through the combat log, it charges that I've been killed by Death Ray (the green beams) which, according to the log, hit for around 15k a tick every .5 seconds. The problem is, this exact thing has happened to me a about 6-8 times and for the majority of these occurrences, I was above 75% HP, and was instantly killed - not killed over the few seconds it'd take 15k ticks per .5 seconds to kill me.
In summary, I'd like to call to anyone who holds interests so similar to my own in these things, and try for yourself, to solo Yogg-Saron. I want to get a bit of a community together on this, and hopefully we can push through!
Oh, by the way, I keep dying during Phase 2, due to having two Constrictors between brain portals. I often can't make it to the portal, due to slows or Malady of the Mind, or I get a third tentacle and am one-shot by "Death Ray".
I'm going to be attempting this again tomorrow. Good luck to you and hopefully the world can spare some luck for me!
-------------
DK soloing Yogg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EuLr-m7IM
A link to express my emotions as I started typing - but not now, as I still type: http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... -18317.png
