Skip to content
Maintankadin

Pots and Consumables

Brokenone
Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:15 pm

Pots and Consumables

I'm sure there is a really extensive thread on this topic somewhere, but I've been trolling these boards for a while now and haven't really seen one all in one place.

So, the question is, what consumables do you guys use while tanking:
(a) progression
(b) farm

It seems like for progression stuff flasks would be more money efficient because of the higher chance of dying, but i don't know the overall effectiveness of flasks in comparison to two elixirs.

What flask / elixirs / food buffs do you use on what and why? Always the health / stam buffs or sometimes pure spell damage?
_________________
Dreamcrusher
Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:18 pm
Well, I'm very undergeared compared to the rest of my guild, so lately I just use spellpower consumables. If I plan on wiping a lot, spellpower flask. If I'm hoping to kill the boss that pull, Adept's Elixir + Elixir of Fortitude.

Spellpower Food / Stam Food and Superior Wizard Oil on every boss pull.
_________________
<3
Xanatos
Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:03 am
Always have stamina food for each raid. The feltail delight and other +20 stam/spi foods are fine at first but start getting spicy crawdads (+30 stam/spi) for bosses. It just takes a day of fishing to get enough crawdads for one full run.

Scour the AH for scrolls (armor, agi, stam - all preferably rank V) and save any that you find. The stam scroll doesn't stack with fort iirc but are great when you don't have a priest in the raid. The armor and agi scrolls do stack with raid buffs and are a godsend for fights like Prince and Nightbane.

Here's a tip - the supplicants in SMV drop random rank V scrolls and are dead easy to farm as prot.
_________________
Eek
Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:35 am
Food:
Poached Bluefish
Blackened Sporefish

I find myself using almost primarily Blackened Sporefish these days. The +20 stamina on it is nice, and I find that even the 8mp5 comes in handy much more than +20 spirit from other foods ever would (worth +2 damage/healing if you have a priest with 2/2 Divine Spirit). I keep a stack of Poached Bluefish on me, but I don't find myself using it that much these days since most OT jobs seem to involve more surviving than threat building. I used to carry Fisherman's Feast and Spicy Crawdad; the sad thing is that even with 20-slot bags, I'm pressed for space and I wasn't using either very much, so they're banked except for special occasions.

Potions:
Elixir of Mastery
Elixir of Major Fortitude
Adept's Elixir

I always keep a stack of all three potions on me for raiding. I pop Major Fortitude almost all the time, and these days, I find myself prone to using Mastery over Adept's. +15 to all stats is pretty nice although I'd probably be using Adept's a lot more if there was some consistent use to the spell crit part of it (the random JoR crits don't seem worth it).

I always try finding out what we're raiding ahead of time so I know if I have to bring flasks. I occasionally use Flask of Fortification when there's nothing else required of me except to take damage, but I've yet to use a Flask of Supreme Power. Threat generally isn't the issue; living is.
_________________
It's tough to be evil. It's much easier to become a man of justice.
Menardi
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:26 am
Progression: Shattrath Flask of Fortification or Shattrath Flask of Supreme Power
Normal Bosses: Elixir of Major Agility+Elixir of Major Fortitude or Adept's Elixir+Elixir of Greater Intellect
Healing: Elixir of Healing Power+Elixir of Major Mageblood
Weapons: Superior Wizard Oil for tanking, Superior Mana Oil for healing
Food: Spicy Crawdad for progression tanking, Feltail Delight or Blackened Basilisk for difficult encounters. Blackened Sporefish for healing (no way I'm wasting fish sticks, those things are expensive).

I think that's about it. For progression you might pick up some Scrolls of Agility if you want. For a lot of fights I don't bother with every consumable listed but if I feel it will help I use it.
_________________
Tiandelin
Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 am
I always carry around plenty of superior wizard oil and use it when tanking on any boss fight we don't significantly outgear (i.e. most of Karazhan, though I do use it for Prince and for Nightbane if I'm tanking him). A notable exception is Karathress, since I just offtank the hunter long enough before anyone else hits him that it's impossible to pull aggro from me anyway. However, I still have a whole bag full of wizard oils on an alt from when I was leveling enchanting, so I'm not shy about using it.

Aside from that, I use fort or supreme power flasks on progression fights. For bosses we have down, I generally use adept's elixir and elixir of fortitude. Blackened basilisk or talbuk steak depending on what stat I need.
_________________
Lansky
Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 am
Depends entirely on the fight and what my role is. Do I want a quick threat lead for dps to start immediately and to go hard? Am I tanking something off to the side for a while? Am I an Offtank and trying to maintain 2nd threat? As far as progression vs. farm. If I am thinking about using consumables at all I use a full array as clearly i'm concerned. Farm content I rarely use anything other than some cheap food.

Food -
30stam - Tanking something that REALLY hurts
20stam/8mp5 - Offtank in some regard
23dmg - Threat priority
20 agi - Max avoidance possible desired
20 stam - mp5 not a big deal and I ran out of crawdads

Flasks
Fort Flask - Max Health desired
Light Flask - Max Threat desired

Battle Elixirs
Major Agi - Max avoidance
Adept/Arcane - threat desired but not only concern

Guardian
Fort - Health is nice but not top concern for whatever reason
Mageblood - OT role where I will be in a mana crunch

Weapon Buff
Mana Oil - OT role with SEVERE mana issues
Wizard Oil - Standard threat boost when WF is not desired or not available
_________________
Lansky BE Paladin Mannoroth
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&n=Lansky
Omatre
Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm
For solo'ing on my way to 70 (and probably even @ 70)

Defensive: Earthen Elixir. The more dmg I can stop, the better off I am, saves mana, saves hp, and after a fight, a single heal can put me back up to 100% and back to fighting. If I want some extra INT and spell dmg, I'll go with a Elixir of Draenic Wisdom. The other reason I use these two, mat costs are very low. So burning through a batch of 20+ of them doesn't hurt the wallet near as much as say a 5 pack of Flasks would.

Offensive: I'll use Major Agility, Major Strength, and Adept's. I'll even sometimes throw in an onslaught elixir for the heck of it. 60AP you say, yeah, well, I don't value the offensive side of the potions as much as the defensive side. I use what my mats allow me to make inexpensively. If I was buying though, it'd be major agi first, and adepts second, tanking means avoiding as much as taking, and the extra agi translates to dodge change.

For food, I always have something with +sta on it. since none of my other toons ever cooked to 375, I stored a ton of mats in preperation, so I have 20 stamina buff on me pretty much all the time. Occassionally I'll have a ravager dog for +40 AP, but it just depends on how I feel.

My take on it, ANY buff is better than NO buff, so if I'm out of one thing, I'll eat up what I have just to keep myself moving along.

I used to value +defense pots religiously. Now, for the mats they take, to me its not worth it, the same effect can be had from the Earthen Elixir, and its much cheaper, I can crank out 20 of those for the cost of the mats for 5-10 +defense.
_________________

Thax
Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:38 am
thread necro ftw

In my barrel of fish for the daily cooking yesterday I got a recipe for stormchops.

Has anyone used these for tanking? Do they proc often and would it be worth using for even more AoE threat / dps?
_________________
Yes, a Paladin can easily be the guy that gets put in front of something ugly and told to break the bad guy's equipment with his face before the bad guy breaks his face with his equipment. ~Lore
Minn
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:05 pm
I have a bag for consumables, typically stocked with:

(Weapon buff)
Superior Wizard Oil

(Well-fed buff)
Stat food (Sta or Spell Dmg)

(Battle Elixir)
Elixir of Major Agi
Elixir of Mastery
Adept's Elixir

(Guardian Elixir)
Elixir of Major Fortitude
Elixir of Major Defense

Nightmare Seeds and Ironshield Potions are also handy on tough fights. For easier tanking, the Mana Potion Injector is great.
_________________
Last seen wearing...
fuzzygeek
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm
In ZA if you rescue the food vendor, you can do a soft reset every 30 minutes and buy him out. Crawdads and spicy basilisk (?) for cheap.

I have 20 stacks of crawdads and 17 stacks of basilisk sitting in the bank now.
_________________