theckhd wrote:Are you intending the options to be mutually exclusive? As per the discussion in the other thread, I think that both SotR and WoG should simultaneously see benefit to try and make sure that one or the other doesn't become irrelevant over the course of the expansion.
I prefer (2)+(3) (or +(5)) because they give direct, reliable effects.
Regarding (4): Increasing the duration on SotR has two downsides: It's still RNG-based, and it risks pushing uptime into the 90%+ range. The only way I could see them implementing that would be by nerfing the baseline duration to 4-4.5 seconds and letting mastery swing it from 5s-6.5s or so. Any longer and it just becomes a buff we keep up all the time, at which point it's no longer interesting.
Worse yet, it introduces another cap (after X mastery, you have 100% uptime and mastery loses a significant portion of its value). I don't think introducing another cap-able mechanism is wise.
Regarding (6): What's the difference between the Y% and Z% effects? Unless I'm reading it wrong, they're both the same thing? Also, as someone else pointed out in the other thread, resource generation on taking damage isn't in the warrior system anymore for good reason. It means our resource generation stalls out while not tanking something, which isn't good. I'd rather see it give us a chance to generate Holy Power from Avenger's Shield, or a chance to double the HP gained from Judgement, or something like that. Note, however, that none of the other tanks' mastery increases resource generation rates either.
Once we have a reasonable list of suggestions compiled, I'll put together a blog post linking to this thread that discusses the different options and their pros and cons. Sort of like a big maintankadin group blogging project.
To clarify, I am trying to simply compile what I've seen on the forum and in other discussions, I am hoping that the people who suggested one or more of the above will answer some of your questions.
I would love something that combined 2+3 or 2+5, but I cannot imagine Blizz agreeing to create a mastery that impacts 3 separate and distinct values: block chance, block value during SotR, WoG healing. If they do go with such a model, it will be a first (to my knowledge). Usually Blizz shies away from creating abilities/stat values that take too long to explain. Maybe I am not giving Blizz enough credit and we can see such an update, but I am not holding my breath. At the end of the day, the best we can probably hope for is trying to barter 2 uses for mastery.
I still don't see what is so great about (5) unless the protective bubble works without the overheal mechanic, outside of very specific, relatively rare mechanics that begin with the tank at close to 100% health. In other words, if a 50k WoG places a bubble for X% of WoG's heal, with X increasing with mastery. That sounds good to me.
Regarding (6), my understanding is that Y and Z affect the same thing, but that Y is the base value at 0 mastery, and Z is the increase in its value with each point of mastery, kind of like how mastery now gives Y% (18) to block chance and Z%(2.25) to block chance per point of mastery. Here it would be something along the lines of "Gives 10% (Y) Chance to Receive HP on Melee Hit, and Increases Chance to Receive HP on Melee Hit by 2% (Z) per Mastery Point. I am not a fan of the RNG elements of such a mastery change. It will be fun when we get lucky, and will be very sad and even frustrating when we do not.
Finally, regarding (3), can you explain how the increase to block value during SotR is "reliable" as opposed to our current mastery (assuming no block cap). Is (3) reliable because it always affects the same ability in a predictable way? If so, then I get it.
I mean other than the very first block after you hit SoTR, which is a guarantee block we can still very well have every hit after that initial one go through, meaning that that part of the mastery will only be beneficial when we block, instead of (1) which is beneficial on every combat table roll that is not a miss, dodge or parry.
If mastery increases the block value of that first block from say 60% to 75%, is that few % of health really a "reliable" mechanic. If my health is in the red and I need reliability to survive the next hit, I guess I can make the calculation of whether or not a guaranteed block will save my butt, or whether I should WoG instead, but will the difference of about 15-20% of that first hit really make the difference in that calculation. If this is confusing, let me illustrate:
I have X health. The next hit, if unmitigated, will hit me for Y, killing me.
Hitting SotR will guarantee that if it hits me, it will hit me for .25Y meaning I survive the hit. If mastery affects that block value, the hit will do some other amount of damage, close to .25Y probably. Does it
really matter whether that hit is .20Y or .30Y? I mean either I feel I can take that blocked hit, or I am using WoG, right? I feel like (3) will have a small impact on survivability and CD/WoG usage. In addition, it will most likely cause our block chance to have to be balanced to a lower %, causing more times per fight where my health is in the red due to a string of unblocked hits.
Lastly, are we all in agreement that a WoG should do more healing than the mitigation of 75% of a melee hit from a boss? I was unsure about some of Theckhd's earlier comments regarding 40% of a hit for WoG healing or something along those lines. If WoG heals for less than 75% of a melee hit, then when will we ever have the incentive to use WoG over SotR, which will not only guarantee a 75% reduction in the boss's attack, but will also increase our block value for around 2 melee hits after that. The only time WoG would be used would be if we are gonna die even if we take a 75% blocked hit, right? That isn't fun, and would only be useful when under 10% health. I know the magic damage argument, but its rare for melee hits to just stop. If we are gonna survive the magic damage element, we have to survive the melee hit right after as well. A WoG healing for less than the mitigation from a SotR "First Block" is not usable.