Skip to content
Maintankadin

Star Wars; Old Republic

Arnock
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Arnock, the republic trooper, and Atheas, the light side jedi at your service.

Definately in for the maintankaidn guild
Aalryn
Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

VikrumthePally wrote:Fail! I am just surprised not more has been said of all you can actually see in game.

Really sorry about that. Oh well, maybe someone else missed it as I did.



There is a website that picks apart and analyzes as much as they can with the in game shots found. Check out

http://darthhater.com/2009/07/18/dissected-videodoc3/
Arnock
Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

VikrumthePally wrote:Fail! I am just surprised not more has been said of all you can actually see in game.

Really sorry about that. Oh well, maybe someone else missed it as I did.



Probably not really mentioning a lot about that seeing as the game is still under development, and there's a LOT that can change from alpha to beta, to release.
Kelaan
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I have a hard time imagining myself playing a non-jedi role. i imagine that would be troublesome for raiding, lol... but at the same time I expect even the normal questing would be freakin' awesome.

It looks like they must have some instanced questing and stuff, e.g. the things where they showed you interacting with (and perhaps killing ..) the captain on a starship. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this. (:
Dorvan
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Kelaan wrote:It looks like they must have some instanced questing and stuff, e.g. the things where they showed you interacting with (and perhaps killing ..) the captain on a starship. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this. (:


They talked about this a bit in the article linked by Honorshammer on page 5. It looks like it'll be closer to the phasing concept we've seen in WotLK. Here's the most relevant bit:

The MMO Gamer: From a design standpoint, how do you handle heroic storytelling in an MMO?

In your standard online game you might walk up to a quest NPC, see a guy right behind you, and know that he’s getting the exact same quest you are to do whatever the heroic thing you’re doing is.

Do you have to segregate players, emulate the single player experience within an online world to make them feel as if they’re the protagonist, as opposed to just one player out of hundreds of thousands?

Daniel Erickson: Well, we kind of showed that in there. When you saw the piece on Hutta, one of the things you might have noticed is that the main room where his people were that he was going in and out of, there was a visible barrier there.

We can’t go into how it all works, but we didn’t want to separate the player base. We definitely are not a… there have been some MMOs that are basically instanced games with common areas. We didn’t want to go there.

What we wanted to do was be able to separate out people just long enough for the parts that were important for it. If you’re going to go have a discussion with your dad Darth Vader, you probably want to go do that by yourself.

Or, with your party, you can bring your friends with you.

But you probably don’t want a thousand people there, especially if a fight’s gonna break out, because it wouldn’t really make sense.

But, most of the world actually holds it together pretty seamlessly. One of the things we do that makes it much easier, which you saw in the game, when you go into conversation everything else drops out of the world.

So, when you’re in there, we can do things while you’re talking to the NPCs that aren’t necessarily being represented to the rest of the game world.
Honorshammer
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Found another tidbit from a hands-on feature PC Gamer UK did through Games Radar

The Jedi and Sith are melee-focused magic users, while smuggler and trooper classes will use cover to keep out of trouble, and fight with blasters. The bounty-hunter, the only other class so far revealed, can use the kinds of tools we seldom see in MMOs: a jetpack and a flamethrower.
Baelor
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Honorshammer wrote:Found another tidbit from a hands-on feature PC Gamer UK did through Games Radar

The Jedi and Sith are melee-focused magic users, while smuggler and trooper classes will use cover to keep out of trouble, and fight with blasters. The bounty-hunter, the only other class so far revealed, can use the kinds of tools we seldom see in MMOs: a jetpack and a flamethrower.

Melee-focused magic users... sounds a little like something I do now...
TonicTank
Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

My very first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies. Due to a poor player base and not-so-nice graphics and game play I sat the game down for WoW. I enjoyed the game, had a solid guild but it was honestly based on more PvP, RPG, and soloing. I really liked space combat though. I had all 6 ace pilots. I have a lot of hope in Old Republic, I wont quit wow but I will be paying for 2 subscriptions. :lol:
Arcand
Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Baelor wrote:Melee-focused magic users... sounds a little like something I do now...


Stand in the back and heal the troopers! :lol:
Santcuff
Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Arcand wrote:
Baelor wrote:Melee-focused magic users... sounds a little like something I do now...


Stand in the back and heal the troopers! :lol:


for the first 2 years of TOR jedis and sith must heal!
Baelor
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Has anything been mentioned about collision mechanics in SW:TOR? Or about actual multi-user group play?

To Arcand/Santcuff's jokes, I'm wondering if this game will do away with traditional tanking and healing. My memories of KotOR and KotOR2 do not involve a tanking character or a dedicated healer character being necessary for progressing through the game. Of Teeth and Claws's latest blog post got me thinking about this.
Vanifae
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

I concur you really don't need the "Holy" trinity for every MMO.
TonicTank
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

If this game is anything like SWG I will infact be a Bounty Hunter and a spy. A spy is nothing more than a rogue, it was fun to use the ranged ambush with a Mustafarian Rifle and crit a speeder bike for 11k...
Drexanna
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Vanifae wrote:I concur you really don't need the "Holy" trinity for every MMO.

I agree, in many situations, Resto is just as acceptable. :wink:
Snake-Aes
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Reminds me that everyone I know hates Tibia and think I am some kind of ultimate dork because I play Tibia. Then I ask them why they hate it. The rare that go past the "ZOMGTHATNOTBETHEUBERGRAFIXSOITSUCKS" complain about stuff like "it's too simple", or "Doesn't have any desirable trait".

Then I read this article about tanking. and collision detection. and more tactical "hey don't let him eat the healer" reasonings.And Tibia has all of that.

<sigh> Some people don't really know what they want.