Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hearthstone

Sagara
Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:52 am

Re: Hearthstone

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, there are time when I keep going thinking that if the opponent gets an unlucky draw I might maybe turn it around (for some reason my Fireballs and healer cards never show up until the very end of the game, if they appear at all), but when it's a clear case of one-hit I don't know why I don't just concede.

Anyway, I'm starting to get the hang of the game, though my deck is of course not very good. I've only had 3 packs, so still pretty much just Basic mage deck I'm using. Trying to find a balance between +spell damage cards, and cards to protect those cards.


Tried some of the "Free" deck on hearthpwn or hearthhead?
KysenMurrin
Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Hearthstone

Looked up the top rated Mage one on Hearthhead, put it together then decided it wasn't my kinda thing. After I had a match where I used freeze effects pretty well, refocused my deck around using those. So I now have +spellpower cards, freeze cards (most do damage), apprentice (reduces cost of spells), and other minions for attacking or drawing fire. Gonna see how that works out for me.

I just played my first Arena round. Lost three games in a row as a Priest, but at least you get a prize out of it (allowed me to craft a new Ice Lance, at least).


Edit: Ha, I just had the most fun game so far. Priest took me down to 6 health while he was still at full. I managed to pull out a mirror image, two higher health taunt cards, and just barely managed to destroy or control his minions as I threw out every other minion that came my way, until on the last couple rounds I had 5 minions attacking him. I had 4 health left for the last four or five turns. Very, very lucky.
KysenMurrin
Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Hearthstone

So I was pretty happy with how my deck was working out, but then I hit 2-star Platinum and started losing everything. :lol:

Seems like most decks at this level are summoning lots of minions, and I'm struggling with that - spend so much time controlling and reacting that I don't deal damage to the enemy hero.


Edit: Oh, wow, it just happened again: Warrior brought me down to 5 health, he had 30 health and 19 armor. I won. :lol:

I have also encountered quite possibly the worst Warlock ever. He regularly took too long to make his moves (and you could tell he wasn't afk), he accidentally hit himself with a "deal 5 damage and draw a card" spell, and when he was down to 2 health at the end (with a fair chance of still winning) he used Life Tap...
Skye1013
Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:28 am

Re: Hearthstone

I've been playing around with a priest deck. Using the Berserkers that gain attack when they take damage and using PW:S, PW:F, taunt creatures and various heals to keep him alive until he gets beefy. The only flaw in this plan are insta-kill spells (or overdrawing from the "heal a minion, draw a card" minion that causes some of my cards to get destroyed...)

Only issue I've had thus far was against another priest (though admittedly, I haven't played many matches beyond the basic practice decks and a handful of pvp.)
KysenMurrin
Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 am

Re: Hearthstone

I got some good use out of the Berserker for a while - it goes really well with the Mage's 1-damage Hero ability - but ended up dropping it from my deck because it was pretty often getting killed as soon as it was out.

I'm having better luck lately. I think my win/loss ratio is starting to even out. Still at 2-Star Platinum.
Worldie
Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 am

Re: Hearthstone

The problem with the Berserker is that it takes too much time to get it strong enough, thus giving lots of time to the opponent to react to it.

Cards that are a big danger as soon as popped are much better than it.
KysenMurrin
Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Hearthstone

Did my second Arena, lost three matches in a row again. I seem to be completely useless when playing an unfamiliar class with these random decks.
Skye1013
Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Re: Hearthstone

Things may change if I start getting into a higher rating bracket, but for now it seems to work. I'm also pretty limited in the cards I have, so doing what I can with what I've got to work with.

I did manage to open a priest rare that when in play changes my heals into damaging spells.
Sagara
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 am

Re: Hearthstone

Auchenai Soulpriest (I swear I did not look!)

That's odd to hear Kysen. You noticed any kind of logic? As in, always getting outdrawn and outpowered? Or never getting a good enough hand to begin, even after a full mulligan?
KysenMurrin
Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 am

Re: Hearthstone

I don't really know why. I just can't seem to use the deck I end up with effectively. Maybe I'm just no good at building the decks.

Is it using my Ranked Play matchmaking rank for Arena? That would obviously make things worse for me...
Sagara
Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:13 am

Re: Hearthstone

I wouldn't believe so - I'm 3* Gold, and have actually better statistics then when I started Arena.
It would also impede a bit the "everyone starts on the same footing" aspect.
KysenMurrin
Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 am

Re: Hearthstone

Probably just that I'm not familiar with the classes, then. It took me a lot of matches to get the hang of my Mage deck, and I'm suddenly expected to pick up one I've never played before and build a deck from random cards.

Speaking of which, the daily quests that require wins as a specific class are annoying. I've focused entirely on making my Mage work, and now the game wants me to win three PvP games as a Hunter or Druid, which are at level 1 with half the basic cards still not unlocked.
Sagara
Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 am

Re: Hearthstone

A good primer would be to beat each of the basic decks with every class. Gives a good idea as to how they roll.
KysenMurrin
Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am

Re: Hearthstone

That's what I did to grind the Hunter up to level 10. Though I only had to beat 8 of the 9. Warrior I really struggled with, probably mostly because I didn't have all the cards yet. Anyway, I won my first unranked match after getting the basic cards, then lost about five or six in a row. Still need one more win for the quest.
KysenMurrin
Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Hearthstone

Yikes. Only possible when the two players are cooperating, though, right?

Edit: Though, I suppose if the player with Cho manages to defend him and the other player starts buffing his own, it could turn into a bit of an arms race...
Andurin
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:27 am

Re: Hearthstone

Mind control ftw? :p That looks awsome tho ^^ (Overpowered priests... :p )
KysenMurrin
Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Hearthstone

I now have a basic Priest deck and a basic Hunter deck that I like, which is good for daily quests, but I'm still focusing on the Mage. Winning often enough now. Wondering if I can fit a silence or mind control into my deck.
Sagara
Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Hearthstone

A priest deck should do without one Mind Control at least. It's a total game braker by itself IMHO.
Aubade
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Hearthstone

I've just got into the beta last week. Been having a blast!
KysenMurrin
Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Hearthstone

Sagara wrote:A priest deck should do without one Mind Control at least. It's a total game braker by itself IMHO.

I mean for the Mage deck. (My Priest deck has two MCs.)

I have one of the Gnome cards that MCs a random minion. But a targeted Silence would probably be better than the random-out-of-four card. I just feel like some kind of counter that doesn't require me to kill a minion would be good to have in this deck, since my biggest weakness seems to be getting bogged down clearing the enemy minions.

I think the only Silence card I have is the owl. Wonder what I could drop to fit it in. It'd be good to be able to just silence one of the buff or draw-a-card minions.
Sagara
Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:37 am

Re: Hearthstone

I wouldn't go for the MC Gnome - apart from weenie rush deck, people won't be caught dead with 4 minions on the table (maybe Pallies or Shams, but even then). A board clear is already easy enough.

As for silence, it depends on how fast do you need it - Owl is a cheap silence, which means you can keep playing stuff alongside it, but it's so goddamn weak it might as well be a simple "silence a minion" spell. If you need those late game, Spellbreakers might be your stuff: a 4/3 for 4 with built-in Silence. It's common as well, so easy to craft.

I'm starting to distrust the Juggler/Weenie deck I had - I'm probably going to go for no special tricks, just pure bang for the buck. Probably going to re-cycle BoK in for the boosted Silver Hands surprise special.
KysenMurrin
Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Hearthstone

Re: "easy to craft", that assumes it's actually possible to get dust. Unless I DE my only copies of some of the cards I have (and most only give 5 dust), crafting's not happening often.

(I've already done the whole "screw it, it's only beta, I'll not end up using these cards and time soon" and DEd most of the ones I didn't want to hold. Even a rare that gave 100 dust (which gave me Blizzard, which is excellent).)
Sagara
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 am

Re: Hearthstone

Ho. Are you aware there might not be another wipe at launch?
Aubade
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Hearthstone

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that. ...perhaps DEing me entire shammy collection wasn't a good idea.....

I'm prettty noob at this game however. Ive been having a lot of fun with the mage and priest decks. As well as a run with druid for a day or two