First of all... how much does a monitor hold me back in regards to graphics (if at all?) I currently have a Hannspree HF229H that I've been using for ~6 years now. I'm likely going to be getting a new monitor, but if I decide I want to go with a dual (or triple) monitor setup, will I be hindered by my older monitor?
As for what I'm currently looking at building:
CPU - Intel i5-4670K (not sure if I need the K version if I'm not overclocking, but might be purchasing a pre-overclocked video card)
Mobo - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150
RAM - 8 GB (brand unknown atm, but probably whatever is cheapest amongst Kingston, G.Skill and Corsair)
GPU - I'm somewhat torn between getting two cheaper cards for crossfire/SLI or getting a better quality single card
Single - Either Radeon HD 7970 or GeForce GTX 770
Dual - 2x GeForce GTX 660 (or maybe 760, if I feel like throwing that extra $100 into it.)
I guess my biggest questions here...
1) What size case do I need (is a mid-tower too big/small/just right?)
2) Do I need the K version of the CPU if I buy a GPU that comes overclocked?
3) Is it better to get dual GPUs now or go with the single and potentially get a second one later on down the road (as opposed to replacing both in the dual setup?)
4) What sort of power consumption am I looking at? (I know I didn't put this in the list, but I'm looking at a SSD/HD combo and will get more detailed if they tend to pull varied amounts of power. Also, likely going to get a BD-ROM.)
As for what the computer will be used for.... primarily gaming (not so much WoW anymore, but TSW, LoL, Defiance, Rift, etc.) I'm not likely going to be doing any sort of video editing or 3D modeling, so if I selected something that leans more towards that than towards gaming... please let me know.
Skye1013
Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:15 pm
