Skip to content
Maintankadin

Steam - connecting through restricted internet

Esilence
Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:15 am

Steam - connecting through restricted internet

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with a little problem I have!

I'm currently working on an oil rig, and the internet is poor, this is nothing new for me! :) But normally you just get onto the network and things run slow, but they run ok.

I am currently on a rig which in order to access the internet, I had to set a specific proxy server, and also define a specific IP for my computer. This is creating problems when accessing anything that isn't through a web browser. Normally I just run Steam in offline and use that to play things, but I preloaded a few things before I left and I was trying to figure out a way to get Steam active so I can activate them.

Unfortunately the network also blocks anything gaming related, and so as usual Maintankadin is the only functioning gaming site I can use...

Has anyone had any experience dealing with anything like this previously? And yes I did try google, but everything was either useless info or blocked sites...

If it's not possible I will live :) But any information would be appreciated!

Cheers

E
Kelaan
Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Steam - connecting through restricted internet

You might be able to set up a secure shell (SSH) tunnel to a private proxying machine on the outside that you'd have to own/rent, which would then be able to tunnel your proxied connection to Steam.

I have no idea how you'd go about setting that up. ;)