Skip to content
Maintankadin

Need a new Mac keyboard...

halabar
Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 am

Need a new Mac keyboard...

Ok, so I was happy with the keyboard that came with my MacPro 4 years ago, but time, food spills, and pounding have left me in need of a new one.

I tried the new style Mac keyboards, and while they are ok for typing, they feel like you are hitting a rock when you spam dps rotations for 3 hours.

I'm currently using a MacAlly piece of crap that has very bad response on some of the keys, and seems to get stuck at times.

So I need a good Mac gaming keyboard, that is suited to a lot of dps rotation pounding, not noisy, and is easy on old fingers that already have some tendonitis.

Any reccommendations?
Amirya
Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

What's the general consensus on Logitech keyboards? I'm looking to replace my keyboard (and mouse!) too, but I'm not in as dire need as Halabar.
cerwillis
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.
Klaudandus
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.


Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.
cerwillis
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Klaudandus wrote:
cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.


Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with that. You can set profiles where the CAPS and windows key are disabled, etc. as well.

Image
Invisusira
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

We actually have a place here in Toronto that sells the old white plastic keyboard (A1048) brand new for $30. I was rather ecstatic when I found out after spilling vodka in my last remaining one. If you're interested, it'd a bit of a hassle with shipping and all that, but I know how annoying finding a proper Mac keyboard can be.

And yeah, the new metal keyboards blow for gaming.
cerwillis
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Invisusira wrote:We actually have a place here in Toronto that sells the old white plastic keyboard (A1048) brand new for $30. I was rather ecstatic when I found out after spilling vodka in my last remaining one. If you're interested, it'd a bit of a hassle with shipping and all that, but I know how annoying finding a proper Mac keyboard can be.

And yeah, the new metal keyboards blow for gaming.

I've got piles of those keyboards in storage at work, I can't stand them, they misfire too much for my liking, and the keys are too stiff.
Invisusira
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

MISfire?

wtf have you been doing to them
cerwillis
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Invisusira wrote:MISfire?

wtf have you been doing to them

I suppose I usually get them after an editor of some kind has abused them for years, but I don't like brand new ones either, sloppy, stiff LEGO keys, (edit: yes somehow they are sloppy and stiff at the same time o.O). Apple does most things well, but keyboards, mice and earbuds are not 3 of them.
Nikachelle
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Those old style mac keyboards are AWFUL after a few years. They're impossibly hard to press. Invis got his new one and it was like a totally different species. He doesn't seem to notice the difference much, but I was like "OH MY GOD THIS SO MUCH EASIER TO PRESS THE KEYS"
Klaudandus
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Kinda wondering how the old Model M would be for gaming

Image
Klaudandus
Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

cerwillis wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:
cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.


Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with that. You can set profiles where the CAPS and windows key are disabled, etc. as well.


It's the grooves between buttons that matter for me.
laterna
Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

cerwillis wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:
cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.


Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with that. You can set profiles where the CAPS and windows key are disabled, etc. as well.

Image


This. Holy shit this! I use this, but with the numpad being removable. Its been going strong for 4 years now, and it has shown no problems. I did open up to clean it once but thats all the maintenance it ever got. Also, after using it for so long, the feel is amazing. I recently spend a few weeks out of home, and returning to my home PC with this keyboard, the difference is amazing. + macro buttons rock.