laterna wrote:What I'm saying, I can understand certain people going for macs because they feel that it is absolutely needed for their job. Those people are 0.05% of the apple buyer base. The rest are simply people who fall to marketing trends....
This is a common statement from PC nerds and WinTel commentators, I think it misses the point.
For a "normal person" every PC you can buy (other than a NetBook) is fast enough. Every Mac comes with "enough" RAM and "enough" HDD space.
The vast majority of the marketplace are no longer buying their computers based on $/MHz.
I'll use a car analogy: Here's what the PC Industry sell:




When you look at price vs performance, all of these cars are
unbeatable. The Caterham 7 you can even buy as a kit and build yourself.
Here's what people actually buy:





Arguing that your WinTel PC is better price-performance entirely misses the pointGo look at car ads. They're not sold on 0-60 times. They're sold on features, safety, comfort and value (not the same thing as cheap, or people would buy a hell of a lot more Chinese cars).
PC "enthusiasts" are Ricers/Drag-racers arguing about which Turbo is best in their drift car. No one outside the "scene" goddamn cares, they want a reliable hatchback/sedan/SUV with comfy seats, lots of airbags and cruise control.