Skip to content
Maintankadin

Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

masterpoobaa
Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Anyone running wow on a 64bit version of windows? (Specifically win7, generally any 64bit OS).

Any bugs/issues that you have had? Any noticeable benefits? Mods all work ok?
d503
Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

I am. No bugs. No addon compatibility issues. Doesn't run noticeably faster...then again, nothing really does on my 64bit install...
99sitr
Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

I run Win7 64bit, no issues. WoW is a 32bit program so there will be no difference in allotted memory. I know Ventrilo has a 64bit service, buts its footprint is so small you will never see the difference between it and the 32bit version.
Pizbit
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Noticed absolutely nothing different whatsoever.

That goes for everything I use actually.
Levantine
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

7 64-bit here. No noticeable difference to my performance other than the standard improve you'd see from going to an 2gig XP, 7950gt and 1.8GHz Core2Duo to a 4 gig 7, 460gtx and overclocked Sandy Bridge i5. IE massive, but I wouldn't have any idea if anything would be related to swapping to 7. Zero compat issues with WoW. Mass Effect, however, can suck a big one.
Shyrtandros
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Same, no differences in performance or bugs.
Gerunna
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

I upgraded to Win7 64 bit at the same I upgraded to an SSD, so while my boot and WoW load times are waaaaay better, I think that's mostly due to the drive.
Sabindeus
Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

also using WIn7 64 here. No issues.

64 bit OS should not grant magical performance increases.
d503
Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:44 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Sabindeus wrote:also using WIn7 64 here. No issues.

64 bit OS should not grant magical performance increases.


At this point it's *not* granting magical compatibility headaches, so you take what you can get ;) 64bit Windows has come a long way.
gibborim
Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

For WoW, all you really gain from x64 is the ability to install more than 4GB of RAM. I guess that means you can have like, Photoshop and WoW open at the same time?
Flex
Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Sabindeus wrote:64 bit OS should not grant magical performance increases.


I think only one program I've ever installed on my Mac that ever listed speed improvements for going to 64bit from 32bit and that was Handbrake, everything else was similar to "64-bit compatible but you shouldn't notice anything but slightly more memory usage."
PsiVen
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Using more than 3GB of RAM should make a noticeable difference if you do any amount of multitasking (personally I raid with 30 firefox tabs open at all times).

My main problem when I first moved to 7x64 (well actually Vista x64) was getting the 64-bit Ventrilo to play ball with whatever screwed up my Realtek audio driver. It eventually mysteriously fixed itself (as far as I can tell I waited 6 months and attempted to install the exact same version of Ventrilo that failed before, on the same system configuration, and it started working).
gibborim
Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 am

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

PsiVen wrote:was getting the 64-bit Ventrilo to play ball with whatever screwed up my Realtek audio driver.


Pro-tip: The Realtek audio driver is what is screwing up your Realtek audio driver.
Nakama
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Win7 64-bit here, same as everyone else, no problems so far.

My wife, however, has almost the same set up as me and seems to have occasional problems with WoW dumping her or blue screens of death, but I attribute that to the older video card she's running.

--Jed
gibborim
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Re: Windows 7 64bit and WoW?

Nakama wrote:Win7 64-bit here, same as everyone else, no problems so far.

My wife, however, has almost the same set up as me and seems to have occasional problems with WoW dumping her or blue screens of death, but I attribute that to the older video card she's running.

--Jed


The only times I have had a BSoD since moving to XP back in college are all hardware related.