Ok, so I have been trying to figure out how to improve my wow performance and to see whether my ati crossfire was working. I am trying to decide whether more ram would help or a better video card. My processor currently is an i7 920 OCed to 3.0 ghz . For video card I use two ati 4870 512mb in crossfire and my ram is 3 gb of 1066 ram. I can provide more specific info if needed.
Anyway, setting everything to ultra with max mulitsampling and texture filtering, I get a lot of stutters in my fps, mostly in crowded areas (to be expected), so I decided run a few monitoring tools while I played to see where my system was being stressed. The tools I used were PC Wizard, CPU-Z, and GPU-Z. The processor was only running at about 15% load during the times of stutter, where as almost 2.4 gbs of memory were being used (1.6 by wow) (85%).
As for the gpu, I saw that one card was running at 75% load, where are the other card was running at 0%. So I thought maybe crossfire was not working. But when I checked the CCC, crossfire was definately enabled, and GPU-Z also told me that it was enabled as well. Then I tried to change the clock settings for the vcards, increasing their core clock speeds to 770 mhz and memory clock to 935 mhz. The CCC told me after testing that both of these values were acceptable. But when I monitored my gpu clocks while playing wow, once again only 1 card was reaching this clock speed. I had also increased the fan speed for both cards and both cards were operating at the new fan speed. In the case both cards are on, and connected properly.
So, after all that, my question is 2 fold. Is my crossfire working properly? and if I had a few spare bucks would a new video card (was looking at a ati 6850) or more ram (was looking at 6 gbs of 1333 ram) have the larger impact on performance.
I apologize for the wall of text and if this the wrong place to post this. thanks for any help
scalar
Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:25 pm
