Arnock wrote:The only real downside I found was the start screen, but I've been getting used to it, and might actually start preferring it over the old start menu. The only thing that I can say that I probably won't ever like about the new UI, is that it's more annoying to power down the PC(hover cursor in top corner of screen ->settings->power->shut down.) I think think that's because most tablets are designed to hibernate/lock rather than powering down completely.
It's fairly easy to make a start menu shortcut to shutdown if you want. I have both shutdown and reboot on my start screen. The start screen is fairly nice in general - it needs one new feature to be ideal imo (live tiles from desktop apps). You can pin desktop apps to the taskbar, and you can still do the start button -> start typing trick, as in 7 (though it categorizes the search, rather than just presenting everything). Just make sure you have a look through the keyboard shortcuts (Win + C and Win + X get a lot of use here).
I'm liking win8 a lot. I was considering getting one of the start menu replacements and just treating it like 7, but I find that (limited) use of metro apps is even good - especially on a three-screen setup. I've got an IM client snapped to the edge of one screen constantly, and some of the metro-style apps are quite nice (they tend to look a lot cleaner than other apps - no taskbar and very little UI means more space for actual content). Additionally, there's a lot of minor improvements that are so much better than in 7 (file copy progress box is night and day, as is the task manager).

