theckhd wrote:On a more serious note, can I ask for a clarification (from either/both of you)? I have a basic understanding of the concept of Open Source, but as I'm not in the industry I'm fuzzy on the specifics.
Knaughty, it seems like your argument is that "since they're not providing the source code right now, it's not Open Source." The way I read that, you mean that for a project to be open source it has to be available during the entire development cycle?
That seems a bit unreasonable to me.
There's a variety of different degrees of disclosure run by different projects depending on the degree of community involvement and how distributed the development process is.
Most projects run at the "extremely open" end of the scale, the Linux kernel is a very good example.
Individual developers update specific things, they do this privately - maybe I'm updating a network card driver to support a new variant. That is done privately, on my PC. Once I think I have a working version of the updated driver, I distribute a patch - this used to occur via email on a mailing list, I think the kernel is managed in a somewhat more advanced way nowadays.
The patch gets tweaked, tested, eventually accepted.
At some point that patch gets tagged as being included in a release - and the patch notes for patch X.Y.Z might have a bullet point saying "
Supports Flambé variant of Flan ethernet card".
Someone is in charge of release management - they're the people who actually tag the release. So when you go to the base repository and fetch release X.Y.Z, you get a coherent, tested, working version of the software.
About the
least transparent version of "Open Source" is where the vast bulk of development is done in-house, maybe with the odd submission from outside. The clear cut-off between Open and Closed source is when you release the compiled version of the software as a product and then choose not to release the source code.
Whether is it
legal to do that depends on the licence involved. The most common and well-known Open Source licence is the GPL is various versions, the GPL explicitly bans releasing a product without releasing the code - once Motorola ships the first XOOM they're legally obliged to provide a link to the source-code same day at the absolute latest.
The Apache 2 licence allows you to "re-close" the source. Motorola are legally allowed to ship the XOOM and they don't have to release the source code. However, because the source isn't available, the XOOM is not an Open Source product.
The point of "
product release = code release" is that according to the Free Software Movement (and people like
RMS) it's some sort of basic human right to be able to tinker with stuff that you own. If you can't debug, extend or change the XOOM, then you don't own it.
The general rule of thumb is:
• You are not required to "show your working", while you're building & debugging stuff you can keep it secret if you want. You just can't expect any help from the community while you're working in private.
• Once you release a product, you have to release the code.
Thus: XOOM has been released, no code = closed source.