I don't usually have anything new to contribute to the community. But seeing as there isn't a Cho'Gal thread yet I thought I'd share my experiences. Normally we're a 25 man guild but over the holidays we were short people. So we did it on 10 man.
I won't cover the fight mechanics or strats because nothing changes as far as that goes. And there are plenty available. Instead, I'll cover what it took to stay alive and get the job tank as the tank.
Healing and External Cooldowns
No matter what healing comp you end up using, try to use a healer that has external cooldowns they can provide (Paladin or Priest). We had a lot of attempts using a Druid/Shaman healing combo and RNG tank deaths would be the cause for just about every wipe. Your cooldowns alone simply won't be enough at current gear levels. When we replaced the Driud with a Paladin, it made the fight easier. Aura Mastery, Beacon, and Hand of Sacrifice were incredibly valuable.
Tank Gearing
TLDR: Gear for avoidance and block without ignoring stamina. Use tank trinkets with stamina/avoidance/mitigation stats. Use a resistance flask, not stamina flask.
Details:
This is the first fight I've encountered where combined avoidance and block chance are extremely important. Stamina is important as well but you'll find yourself frequently in a situation where even 40k more health won't have saved you from another unblocked hit. In a worst case scenario (with a single stack of a mind control buff), Cho'Gals melee alone can hit you for 90k.
If you don't have two powerful stamina trinkets with avoidance procs or on use effects, then mastery trinkets with avoidance procs would be the next best choice.
I also highly recommend a resist flask instead of the 300 stam flask. As you'll see below, it's usually a combination of incoming damage that kills you, not the melee hits alone.
Spec and Glyphs
TLDR: Remove your single target AS glyph. Use WoG glyph. Grab 2/2 Eternal Glory and optionally 2/2 Improved Judgement. Get Divine Guardian.
Details:
Make sure that you do NOT glyph your Avenger's Shield to hit one target. You want it to hit three targets so that you can help remove mind controls. Use the Word of Glory glyph to boost your WoG healing. Otherwise glyph as you normally would.
Correction: Belloc pointed out that Holy Wrath doesn't interrupt the Corrupting Adherents like I thought it was. Thanks!
For spec, make sure to grab 2/2 Eternal Glory. It's very useful here as you'll be using WoG for 95% of the fight. While not required, 2/2 in Improved Judgement is very useful to get a threat lead on the large adds when they spawn. You'll be sitting on your Avenger's Shield a lot due to saving it for MC's so having a ranged pickup besides taunt is useful. Also get Divine Guardian. Everything else is your standard tanking spec.
Specific Tanking Details
Follow the basic guides already out there. But keep the following in mind:
- Save your Avenger's Shield to help break MC's. If it's on melee, just throw it at the boss, melee will usually get hit too. Be prepared to do a quick jump + turn and throw your shield at ranged if it's on them. Sometimes the raid will get the MC's taken care of before you, kudos to them when they do. Because you're never MC'd, you have an advantage.
- Put up Seal of Insight as soon as you're comfortable with your threat lead. Right before the first add spawns seems like a pretty good time.
- When picking up a large add, threat has the potential to be an issue. Use tricks/md's if available to your raid. Try to stand in one spot for a few seconds to build threat before kiting the add to where he is supposed to die.
- Be ready at all times to interrupt Depravity from the large add. Good communication is key. I've found that many times the two melee we had interrupting would not have one available due to breaking each other out of MC's. You have Hammer of Justice available depending on if you used it for an MC.
- I've found it counter productive to use Word of Glory on anyone but yourself except in the most dire of circumstances. Trust your healers to manage the raid damage and keep healing yourself to help prevent RNG.
When you're most likely to die
Any combination of the following cause the most tank deaths:
- The 3 Shadow Nova Pulses.
- Small adds spawning (especially later in P1 when there are more)
- Failed MC's so the boss has one or more stacks of Twilight Worship.
- Large add being tanked.
Individually they are not a threat.
There is one specific time, just after the boss summons the second set of small adds where three of these happen in the same small time frame. This is where I use our strongest cooldown (GoAK) and keep Lay on Hands at the ready.
Managing Cooldowns
- Setup a rotation around the 3 Shadow Pulses for Aura Mastery and Divine Guardian.
- If you have a Paladin healer with 1 min 30 sec Hand of Sacrifice, use it for each Large add when it spawns. The cooldown on HoS is perfect for it, it'll be up every time.
- I tend to use Divine Protection reactively, sometimes I use it after HoS ends and the Large add is still beating on me. I sometimes use it just before the Large add spawns to try to keep my health levels high when it finally gets to me.
- I save Ardent Defender for those scary times when the dangerous abilities overlap.
- I ALWAYS use GoAK at the time mentioned earlier in the prior section.
- No matter how you manage Aura Mastery and Divine Guardian, just be sure that they will be available again sometime during P2.
- Avenging Wrath is well saved for the large adds if you can manage it.
You'll be making plenty of use of your on use trinkets, healthstones, and lay on hands. I pretty much had to lay on hands myself every attempt. Do what you can to have some personal cooldowns up in P2 but it's not always possible. Ardent Defender is the best P2 cooldown, call out to your healers when you use it, they can opt to spend a GCD on a DPS instead of you and it can make all the difference.
Embarrassing kill video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7SM4XpiLY
I'm embarrassed to post this because I committed the cardinal sin and stood in a blaze in P2. Didn't even realize until I watched the video. But in the interest of sharing more information I'm posting it. Incoming damage on the left. And you can see most of my cooldowns on the green bars to my toons immediate left. We have an amazing boomkin and I had to salv her a bit into the fight due to running Seal of Insight.
