Skip to content
Maintankadin

Which Seal do you use for AoE Grinding?

sherck
Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 am

Which Seal do you use for AoE Grinding?

When not tanking an instance / raid and doing the Protection Pally thing of AoE grinding, which seal do you use most often?

Do you use Light so that your health lasts longer prior to having to bubble/heal or bandage?

Do you use Wisdom so that you have more mana to Consecrate more often?

Do you use Righteous / Blood / Vengence for additional attack damage so the mobs go down faster?

I assume that Seal of Justice is not used much since as a seal, well, it sucks in PVE.

I also assume that you don't use Crusader since, again, as a seal it sucks in PVE (however, I guess with a Judgement of Light or Wisdom, would Crusader help you proc the effect more?)

Just wondering. I know most answers will probably come back "it depends" but wanted to know what most people's logic was.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
_________________
------
Thad, Current Toon = Blood Elf Pally Bloodprince on Altar of Storms
Janduin
Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:37 am
Seal/Judge Wisdom on a random mob with decent amount of HP left. Light is kind of pointless if you have a Figurine of the Colossus, and I get a very nice OP feeling killing 25 Demon Hunter Supplicants at once and exiting combat at full health AND mana.
_________________
Barathorn
Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 am
Once you have the PLG and FotC you really only ever need to use wisdom. The health takes care of itself from the FotC.

That is from my experiances anyhow.

Barathorn
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.
Kelaan
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 am
I dont have the figurine yet. When I do large groups, I judge light and seal wisdom initially, until such time as my mana is Pretty Low. (Reckoning procs keep me healed pretty well, usually, unless I have pulled noticeably too many.) I then judge wisdom and seal Wisdom, and regen mana while "spending" health. This is also usually when I pop my +block trinket, and then the +dodge one.

At some point, I get low-ish on health. I can either bubble->bandage (rare), or seal light, judge it, and then re-seal wisdom. Usually though, I've been consecrating heavily so things are almost dead, so I just end the fight at low-ish health and mana. One underspore pod later, I'm good to go again.

Obviously, once I get the Figurine of the Colossus, the game will change entirely. Wink
farmerjohn
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:30 am
I like to use this seal



Twisted Evil

But what Barathorn said, I totally agree with. Also, if you are just farming an area, you can just drink up and continue thanks to the horrible respawn time.
_________________
Wyleai
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am
Seal / Judge Wisdom and then seal it again.

That allows me to keep going through stacks of maybe 5 to 10 mobs of 1 to 3 levels higher than me.

If there is a caster, I swap out the final seal for that one that stuns sometimes. Forget the name right now... Smile

I reserve crusader and righteousness (that the name of the hammer icon one - I'm a visual thinker) for mobs that I get a feeling need to be sped up, or solo mobs (especially in areas where they are so spread out that I can't pull more than 3 and can't move on to a more crowded area for that type of mob and must grind that mob for a quest).


My rotation otherwise focuses on mana tap and arcane torrent everytime they are up (I'm not concerned about stockpiling a mana gain, but about having a caster interrupt - so I use the arcane torrent when a caster is about 90% through a cast). Consecrate and Holy shield make up the rest. I try to remember to use the stun everytime it refreshes if I have a large stack and what I expect to be a long fight, but on short fights I leave it so I can use it on the next pull right away just in case that next pull is something I miscalculated (one of those Oops moments).
_________________

Wyleai
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:38 am
Couldn't find PLG and FoTC in the tankadin glossary, what are they please? Smile
_________________

Janduin
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:48 am
Petrified Lichen Guard, Figurine of the Colossus Smile
_________________
Aurthur
Thu May 01, 2008 4:52 am
I just picked up a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27896 and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it for a prot paladin while solo'ing/aoe farming vs say the mana mushroom or the commendation. (definitely just talking about aoe farming & solo'ing...not tanking, of course) Smile
Kelaan
Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 am
That trinket sounds awesome for AOE grinding. There appears NOT to be any hidden cooldown, if I skimmed the item comments correctly... which means you can seal/judge light and be completely safe. Damn, I need to do heroic UB. {and get the gear to survive it first}
Wyleai
Fri May 02, 2008 8:16 am
I don't understand why Petrified Lichen Guard is a good idea. It's not a very high armor shield and by level 64 I had better.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28166
Shield of the void. Wne to mana tombs below level for it, and that dropped right away.

Does the poison damage add notably to my threat, even though it is not holy?

I am going to be getting myself into SH though. I passed on a guild run of it yesterday thinking that at 68 I had no reason to go there. Went to Black Morass on a PUG instead and got to wipe a few times from aggro theft.

What do you do, seal and judgment wise, when the DPS keeps stealing your threat and the heals are not enough for you to get mana back...

If I seal and judge wisdom, DPS gets aggro, but if I seal and judge righteousness and crusader, I run out of mana...
_________________

Robin de tolens
Fri May 02, 2008 8:54 am
DPS who get aggro are bad DPS. I admit I sometimes get aggro with my warlock but I tend to be careful with Omen's figures (though I cannot stop my DoTs from damaging mobs). And when I overaggro, I quicly cast soul shatter.
_________________

Aleriya
Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 am
PLG is a ton of damage - almost as much as consecration, and it's free.

Plus, it's great to have a shield spike for farming, but you don't want to put that on your instance tanking shield.
_________________