(skip this part if the 'wall of text' seems too much... you can always refer back if you think it will help you answer my questions better.)
First let me outline what I'm trying to accomplish here and why I'm attempting it, as my circumstances may have some bearing on what's best for me. My main (and first WoW toon ever) is a hunter. From the very start, I have had a delightful time with this class: I REALLY have a blast in BGs and solo questing, and my main love is PvP. Of course, I can't really get all the gear I need for arena by doing just BGs. Most of it, yes, but there are a number of items, such as cloak, ranged weapon, certain gems, crafting recipes, etc. that you have to get by running instances, either for the drops, or simply for badges. This is all fine and good, but as a DPS-only class, and moreover, a member of probably THE most over-represented class in the game (with possibly the worst reputation for average skill) I can basically write off PuGing as a total waste of my time, especially on a low-pop server like Garithos. The invariable result of every past attempt has been 1-1.5 hrs of time spent spamming Trade to get a group together for Kara or a heroic, then another 45 mins-3 hrs. with a bunch of people who can't cooperate effectively and ending up with nothing to show for it aside from a huge repair bill.
My guild is PvP centric, and while we do have healers and other DPS who would love to run Kara, two of our three tanks have made it very clear that they have all the gear they need from there already, are bored with it, and have no desire to ever set foot in there again. The guildmaster is DPS also (rogue) and needs badges and gear from kara as well, but his take is that since this is a PvP guild he's not going to make instance runs mandatory or ask anyone to respec or do anything they don't want to with regards to PvE. I've considered looking for another guild that is more interested in at least SOME PvE content, but the options are limited on my server (where I play with several of my RL friends) And the general attitude seems to be "we can get DPS anywhere" so with just my PvP epics, and no provable experience with PvE content my options there are limited. Aside from that, my guild is VERY organized when it comes to BGs and world PvP, and we have a lot of fun there, and to be fair they have done a lot to help me get my S1/Vindicator by running efficient premades and helping with enchants, so I don't really want to just bail on them. We do have a feral druid who can tank well and is willing to help out, and another hunter who is in the same boat as me has a prot. warrior alt at 62 now that I am helping get to 70 so he can tank. (Pet tanking normal ramps FTW!) I have agreed to help him get leveled as rapidly as possible so he can start tanking kara and heroics with our druid, but if he's running on his warrior he can't get his hunter geared, so we need another tank.
I have a level 30 paladin that I am leveling to become a tank, and I simply need to get him to 70 as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can help my friend get geared up too. Getting a 70 from my guild or one of my friends to run me through an instance for gear or experience is not an issue. My main is an enchanter and blacksmith so I can craft some items for my paladin and enchant them as necessary to speed up the leveling process.
My Questions:
- What spec should I go for leveling? So far I've put all my points in Retribution because I assumed that since it was the DPS spec it would be faster leveling, but based on some of the things I've read here maybe not? my SOLE consideration is what will get me to 60 fastest, at which point I will respec prot anyway to gear up/level up in outland instances.
- What instances to I need to run prior to outlands for the best gear so that I can maximize my leveling speed? Is there a "must have" list somewhere that I can follow or just a few basic items?
- Any BoE epics I should keep an eye out for that would help with my gear setup while leveling? I make extensive use of Auctioneer and wowecon to track prices so i can maximize my income, so if there are 2 or 3 items that would give me a big boost, I could keep a lookout for them on my daily banking sessions and snag them if they're reasonably priced.
_________________
-=-=-=-
Moderation in all things... including moderation.









